BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Born and raised in Cincy (west side is the best side), but I live up north of town now. Hey Terry, apparently they needed another convertible for next week's Blanchester homecoming parade, so through a friend of a friend I'll be driving my new (to me) '04 M3 Vert in the parade. If you happen to be there, feel free to introduce yourself!

-Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone in Ohio know anyone nearby that can do Key programming for an e46 (using NCS Expert etc)? My BMW dealer says they no longer support this as the e46 is too old and they dont have the equipment to program. I'd like to program things like DLRs and flash to pass and such.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Bob! Yeah, im pretty sure ours are damn near a match. Well mines an 03 Carbon black over black vert, SMG. Im up in kenwood.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I live on the north side of Cincy, yeah. Dang, looks like your car looks exactly like mine! 😉

-Bob
I dont suppose you were out driving top down by the Walter J Long Sports complex on sunday around 5 or 6? I was there for my sons game and noticed my cars twin roll by top down. Looked fantastic rolling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont suppose you were out driving top down by the Walter J Long Sports complex on sunday around 5 or 6? I was there for my sons game and noticed my cars twin roll by top down. Looked fantastic rolling.
Ha! Yeah, I imagine that was me. I'm testing a free air subwoofer between the seats in place of the custom box I built and was driving around testing it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ha! Yeah, I imagine that was me. I'm testing a free air subwoofer between the seats in place of the custom box I built and was driving around testing it out. Thanks!
What are you doing with your old Sub? I bought my car with aftermarket head unit, speakers, and an amp in the trunk, but no sub...its on my laundry list of things to do. Curious about your setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What are you doing with your old Sub? I bought my car with aftermarket head unit, speakers, and an amp in the trunk, but no sub...its on my laundry list of things to do. Curious about your setup.
Well, I'm not sold on the new setup yet, but if I stick with it I will probably be looking for a home for the old sub/box. I put an aftermarket HU in mine, but it's still got stock speakers & amp. I removed and disconnected the OEM sub and built a box for the trunk with a 10" sub & amp. I'm testing a new free air sub mounted between the rear seats, but so far I don't think it sounds as good. So, while I haven't given up on the new setup yet, we'll see.

Here are some photos of the box I designed. One 10" sub firing up with a port that fires through the open ski pass. I mounted a 10" speaker grill to some thin ABS sheet and mounted it in place of the ski pass just to give some semblance of a finished look.
IMG_20200425_192051.jpg IMG_20200503_153659.jpg IMG_20200426_203919.jpg IMG_20200503_160640.jpg

What I'm testing now is just a 10" sub mounted to a baffle plate in place of the ski pass. I suspect that I'm gonna need more power to make this sound good, though, and I'm not looking to dump a bunch of money into it. So, I may go back to the box ... though I do like having my trunk space back!
IMG_20200829_124103.jpg

I live close to Walter J. Long, so if you find yourself back in the area and want to take a look, lemme know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love the look of your previous box. Im just at a loss for what i want to do. I really dont NEED the space, besides a couple times a year. Also i hope i can just hook my wires to the sub and be good to go. Ill let oyu know if im back out that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From what I understand, you won't be ably to just disconnect the existing sub and hook up a new one. The easiest option without any other work is to use those wires as a hi-level input to your own amp to power a different sub. But, either way, you'll need a standalone amp to go with any sub.

After spending the weekend cruising around Deals Gap with the new setup, it's growing on me. I still think a lot more power than my measly 250W is needed if you're after some real thumping, though. 😂

·
Registered
53 Posts
My car already has a full aftermarket head unit, speakers, and amp in the trunk, but the subs the previous owner took out, so i have the wires just taped off sitting there. Im not looking for thump, but ANY BASS at all would be nice. hahaha. Just cruising around with no bass at all....The stock sub is disconnected by still in there.

total side questions but you arent the guy on the facebook cars and coffee group that goes by Talon TSI are you? know its a long shot but got the TSI thing going.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car already has a full aftermarket head unit, speakers, and amp in the trunk, but the subs the previous owner took out, so i have the wires just taped off sitting there. Im not looking for thump, but ANY BASS at all would be nice. hahaha. Just cruising around with no bass at all....The stock sub is disconnected by still in there.

total side questions but you arent the guy on the facebook cars and coffee group that goes by Talon TSI are you? know its a long shot but got the TSI thing going.
Heh, I'm not. I've known him for years, going back to when we both had Eagle Talon TSi's and belonged to the same local DSM club, but he's a completely different TSi. ;-)

If you already have an amp, then you're all set (assuming all still works, etc.). I will warn you that the aftermarket exhaust (mine has one also) can drown out a lot of bass at speed. That's really the main reason I might think about upgrading at some point. It sounds quite good in my garage, but tends to be less impressive at speed with the top down and exhaust singing. 😂

61 - 75 of 75 Posts