BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally broke one of my bolts when I was installing my pulleys!!! Will it be ok if it runs with 3 of the 4 bolts?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
super, my life is over. i just realized that 3 of the 4 bolts broke. what should I do? I need some serious help here guys! Please help!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is great, I'm supposed to leave town tomorrow with my car. My parents are literally going to kill me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
rkaufman said:
Thanks for the great diy writeup kevin, I had my torque wrench set at 14 and it still broke the bolts
So the top of the bolt broke off and the threaded part is still in the screw hole?

What you need to do to get the rest of the screw out is take a little hand held rotary tool with a little circular saw attachment and cut a gap in the thread so that you can fit a flathead screwdriver into it and unscrew the bolt.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
rkaufman said:
Thanks for the great diy writeup kevin, I had my torque wrench set at 14 and it still broke the bolts
14 ft/lbs is so little that most torque wrenches probably do not "click" properly. Drex has the right idea for removing them. If you don't have a rotary tool you might be able to use a hack saw to notch the end of the bolt. If the bolt broke off in the block that is more of a problem.

You should really use OE bolts but you might be able to get by with a standard bolt from a hardware store for the time being.

Tim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine broke too. Fix is easy

Depending on how bad it is, it could be easier than you think! I broke one of mine off too. Take the pulley completely off so there is no "load" or stress on the bolts. Then there should be some bit of bolt left that you can grab with either your fingers or a small needle nose pliers or needle nose vise grips. Carefully turn the bolt to loosen. I would also get some kind of lubricant to spray on the bolt to allow the least amount of friction in the threads. Mine came right out no problem. I replaced them with SS metric socket heads. I think they were a DIN 912 M5x12. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts