BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, I'm going to replace the Oil Filter Housing Gasket, and Valve Cover Gasket sets. I have a little dripping from my 323i Touring. This is a low mile car, and I'm wondering if there is anything else that I should Check or replace while under the hood. The drips are from the front of the engine, and I can see a little dampness just to the rear of the oil filter housing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
740 Posts
vanos oil line and lower intake boot and trottle body gasket and clean icv and tb thats what i did

sorry i thoguht u said CCV as welll, the thorrtle body gasket and lower intake boot and cleaning i did when changing my ccv, in my opinion i think its best to change that out now if its nearing 10 years..

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
Just make sure you're not doing all this when it might just be the oil filter housing cap's o-ring improperly placed...or doubled up on top of a well hidden one.

When you do the ofh gasket, if you do, then also check the vanos oil line...and get four crush washers for it if you replace it...getting won't get easier...it's right on ofh.

Depending on how much you want to do...the vcg is the time to do vanos seals...a very popular item here.

Then, you might want to save the intake side of engine for itself and get down to the TB and do some cleaning and replacing of rubber things behind the disa (if you have an 0-ring), icv has a grommet, and TB has a gasket. Of course, then you'll also want to invest the $15 in new lower intake boot.

Enjoy, however much you do!

Doug

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just happened to have a new pair of intake hoses on the shelf, just waiting for such an opportunity. Good idea. This is a 60K mile car, but lately several things have wanted/needed replacing. Guess it might have something to do with it being 10 years old.

·
Registered
740 Posts
i wish i did the besians vanos seals kit when i went in to replace my valve cover gasket... i think my car would do much better with that... but now i gotta wait 60 k miles as to not waste a perfectly good vcg

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I would do the VCG and see if that fixes your problem before doing the oil filter housing gasket. Oil filter housing gasket is a lot of work compared to the valve cover gasket. Also check your o-ring on your oil filter housing like somebody else mentioned. Start with the most obvious and easiest and work your way down the list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts