BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the main questions about which wheels to put on has to do with size. People wonder, should I go with 17", 18" or 19"?

So we can use this thread to get an idea of what our cars look like with 17" wheels and what we have to do to make them fit.

If you aren't sure if you want to get 17", 18" or 19" then check out this 17" thread and also the 18" and 19" threads linked here.

Click Here For The 18" Wheel Thread

Click Here For The 19" Wheel Thread

For those who have 17" wheels please post pictures, list the specs of the wheels/tires as well as the modifications (if any) to the fenders.

Example:

Wheel Specs:
17x8.5 et 35 front
17x8.5 et 35 rear

Tire Specs:
Achilles ATR Sport 245/35-17 front
Achilles ATR Sport 245/35-17 rear

Fenders:
Rolled fenders. Shaved fenders. Pulled fenders. Widened fenders (mm or inches)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Can I reserve space for my new set coming in? :shhh:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
everything should be put on by the end of the week

·
Registered
34 Posts
Deciding on wheels

17x8.5/10 ET20/15 no spacers 205/40 215/40

New guy here. I've been thinking of gettin 17's on my car and am hoping to achieve almost this exact look. I have found a set of wheels 17x8.25 et25.

My questions are.

1. Will this offset suit what I am looking to achieve.
2. What size of tire will would be recommended so that I do not have to worry too much about them popping on potholes. I am hoping to go low profile.
3. How much would I need to lower my car to achieve this look while being easy on my tires from fender or any other type of scratching.

NOTE that I am new to these forums so if I say anything stupid please take it easy. I'll get it. Plus I kinda rushed to write this so...thanks in advance for the help!

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New guy here. I've been thinking of gettin 17's on my car and am hoping to achieve almost this exact look. I have found a set of wheels 17x8.25 et25.

My questions are.

1. Will this offset suit what I am looking to achieve.
2. What size of tire will would be recommended so that I do not have to worry too much about them popping on potholes. I am hoping to go low profile.
3. How much would I need to lower my car to achieve this look while being easy on my tires from fender or any other type of scratching.

NOTE that I am new to these forums so if I say anything stupid please take it easy. I'll get it. Plus I kinda rushed to write this so...thanks in advance for the help!
First thing to learn is to not quote a **** ton of pictures haha. You can edit your post and select one to keep in your quote and that will get the point across.

Second, what is the look you want? Because that car has 17x10 rears with a 4" lip... Is that what you want? Or do you just want it to poke no matter what size lip the wheels have?

·
Registered
34 Posts
First thing to learn is to not quote a **** ton of pictures haha. You can edit your post and select one to keep in your quote and that will get the point across.

Second, what is the look you want? Because that car has 17x10 rears with a 4" lip... Is that what you want? Or do you just want it to poke no matter what size lip the wheels have?
Haha sorry bout that. Lesson learned :thumbsup:. I don't care about the lip so much although I wouldn't mind finding a nice set of wheels like that at a decent price.

What I want is the poke without too much fender scratching. another thing thats obvious is that to achieve this look I'd need to lower the car. One thing I should mention is that I have a 325i without sport shocks. The look doesn't have to match exactly but I'm hoping to minimize the gap without to much of adverse effects. (ie shock damage, whatever else might get messed up)

Attached is the gap I'm working with

No idea why the picture is upside down. I'm working on my ipad. Sorry

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Jla5138 said:
Its upside down because your iPad thinks you're in Australia...

17x9.5 et17/12 with 205/40 venture

17x8.5 et13, x9.5et7 with 205/40 venture

17x9 et8 with 205/40 nankang

Fenders rolled, and slightly pulled in the rear.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha sorry bout that. Lesson learned :thumbsup:. I don't care about the lip so much although I wouldn't mind finding a nice set of wheels like that at a decent price.

What I want is the poke without too much fender scratching. another thing thats obvious is that to achieve this look I'd need to lower the car. One thing I should mention is that I have a 325i without sport shocks. The look doesn't have to match exactly but I'm hoping to minimize the gap without to much of adverse effects. (ie shock damage, whatever else might get messed up)

Attached is the gap I'm working with

Someone else will need to help you that's more knowledgeable. If I were you though I'd get some raceland ultimos. Those will drop you about 4 inches and are adjustable. They are inexpensive, and a bit bouncy. I have the regular raceland and wish I had gone with the ultimos for that extra inch of drop.

As for wheels, if you like those in the picture, they are pretty cheap. Look up Dare DR-RS wheels.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If I were you though I'd get some raceland ultimos. Those will drop you about 4 inches and are adjustable. They are inexpensive, and a bit bouncy. I have the regular raceland and wish I had gone with the ultimos for that extra inch of drop.
Not trying to say you're wrong, but the way you stated that isnt necessarily correct....

Yes, racelands are cheap.
Raceland and Rokkor's are the same thing. Just different colored springs.
Raceland and the Raceland Ultimo's are just about the same thing.
-Only difference being is the spring rates. They will give the same amount of drop.
-- Raceland is like 380/360 to Ultimo 460/ (I dont remember rear)
You cant really say they're bouncy, because your reason of "bouncy" may be different from anyone elses for a few different reasons.
-A: You're riding on bump stops (making it a harsh ride with no strut travel)
-B: You're mistaking "bounce" for actual stiffness (coilovers are a complete different ballgame than stock suspension)
-C: That's what everyone else says, so might as well go along with it (I hate that people do this)

Racelands, Raceland Ultimo, and Rokkor are all the same thing that do the same thing, on the cheap. The difference between spring rates is so small you most likely wouldn't know the difference. BUT the Ultimo's TECHNICALLY will have the stiffest ride. With that being said, it all depends what youre looking to do with the car as to what coilovers to get.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not trying to say you're wrong, but the way you stated that isnt necessarily correct....

Yes, racelands are cheap.
Raceland and Rokkor's are the same thing. Just different colored springs.
Raceland and the Raceland Ultimo's are just about the same thing.
-Only difference being is the spring rates. They will give the same amount of drop.
-- Raceland is like 380/360 to Ultimo 460/ (I dont remember rear)
You cant really say they're bouncy, because your reason of "bouncy" may be different from anyone elses for a few different reasons.
-A: You're riding on bump stops (making it a harsh ride with no strut travel)
-B: You're mistaking "bounce" for actual stiffness (coilovers are a complete different ballgame than stock suspension)
-C: That's what everyone else says, so might as well go along with it (I hate that people do this)

Racelands, Raceland Ultimo, and Rokkor are all the same thing that do the same thing, on the cheap. The difference between spring rates is so small you most likely wouldn't know the difference. BUT the Ultimo's TECHNICALLY will have the stiffest ride. With that being said, it all depends what youre looking to do with the car as to what coilovers to get.
Good info sir :) I just meant bouncy because the rear of my car is bouncy with the racelands on. Way more bouncy than stock suspension. I'm fine with it though. And you're right, I don't have any experience to compare it to other coilover set ups.

But that's why I say it's bouncy. I'm guessing if you wanted to have your rear wheels poke and be super low that you'd scrape a bunch because the rear bounces. Am I wrong?

And the ultimos are supposed to go 4 inches down while regular racelands are supposed to go 3 inches down. That's why I would rather get ultimos.

If you have time though feel free to educate me! I'd appreciate it

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Apex Arc-8 17x9
Conti DWS 245/40/17 all around
No fender work
Slight camber in front

1 - 20 of 180 Posts