E46 Fanatics Forum banner
71K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  Papeski 
#1 · (Edited)
THIS BLUETOOTH INSTALLATION WAS DONE ON A 2003 330I WHICH WAS PREWIRED FOR BMW CELL PHONE.IT WAS COMPLETED IN 1 HOUR ON SEP 25TH 2008.I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.I WENT TO THE STEALER AND THEY SAID I HAVE TO BRING IT TO THE STEALERSHIP FOR CODING.BULL SH*T.USED A 7TH GENERATION MODULE AND IPHONE 2G WITH 2.1 SOFTWARE.
THIS WAS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AND WOULD DEFTINATELY LIKE SOME FEDDBACK.​

IT WAS DONE ON MY BABY WHICH LOOKS LIKE THIS-​

BEGIN THE PUNJABI WAY!!!!
PLEASE CHECK FOR THIS SIGN ON THE TRUNK .IF YOU HAVE THIS,IT MEANS YOU JUST NEED THE PARTS I USED FOR INSTALLATION AND NOTHING ELSE.MY INSTRUCTIONS ARE GOOD TO GO WITH THIS SIGN.THIS WAS THE BEST TIME FOR ME TO VACUUM ALL THE MESS I HAD IN MY CAR.​

PARTS NEEDED FOR INSTALLATION
  1. BLUETOOTH MODULE PART #84106969268 ($300 From Buddy)
  2. BLUETOOTH MODULE BRACKET PART #84136924553 ($12)
  3. BLUETOOTH MIC PART #84318380319 ($45 From Buddy)
  4. BLUETOOTH ANTENNA PART #84506928461 (Free from Buddy)
  5. BLUETOOTH ANTENNA BRACKET PART #84136912160 ($ 5 From Buddy)
  6. PAIRING BUTTON PART #275-644($3 RADIO SHACK)
  7. PAIRING BUTTON HARNESS PART#84110302181 ($18 Dealer,u can bypass this too)
  8. BOLTS 5 PART#3069936198($1.07 HOME DEPOT)
  9. NUTS AND SCREWS 4 ($ 1 LOCAL HARDWARE STORE)
  10. SCREW DRIVERS
  11. COMMON SENSE

START WITH BLUETOOTH ANTENNA INSTALLATION
LETS START WITH TAKING OFF THE ASH TRAY.ITS EASY AND SIMPLE.PLEASE DON'T RUSH OR PUSH ANYTHING HARD AS IT MAY DAMAGE THE ASH TRAY.​

NOW TAKE OFF THE SWITCH TRIM.IT IS REQIRED TO TAKE OFF IN ORDER TO GET TO BLUETOOTH ANTENNA FAKRA CONNECTOR.IT WILL MAKE IS EASY FOR THE ARM REST TO PICK UP AND GET ACCESS TO THE BLUETOOTH ANTENNA INSTALLATION POSITION.​

REMOVE THE CUP HOLDERS​

YOU WILL SEE THE PHONE WIRING HARNESS AFTER TAKING OFF THE COIN HOLDER.YOU CAN LEAVE IT THERE, DON'T TOUCH THE WIRING HARNESS PACKED IN COVERING.WE'LL TAKE IT OUT LATER.​

LOCATE YOUR BLUETOOTH ANTENNA WITH BRACKET.​

ATTACH THE BLUETOOTH ANTENNA HERE​

NEXT STEP IS TO INSTALL THE BLUETOOTH PAIRING BUTTON.LOCATE THE PAIRING BUTTON WIRING HARNESS.UNWRAP THE COVERING.​

INSTALL THE WIRING HARNESS FOR BLUETOOTH PAIRING BUTTON.​

I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU TO LEAVE EVERYTHING UNSCREWED, UNTIL YOU FIND OUT THE SYSTEM WORKS.BUT I DID NOT DO IT BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT USUALLY WORKKS,AND IT DID.LOL

NOW PUSH BACK THE PAIRING BUTTON HARNESS TO THE FRONT OF THE ARM REST THROUGH THE COIN HOLDER HOLE.AND INSTALL THE PAIRING BUTTON TO THE HARNESS.​

LEAVE THE PARING BUTTON UNDER THE COIN HOLDER.TAPE IT THERE SO IT DONT MOVE AROUND.YOU WILL ONLY NEED THIS ANYTIME YOU PAIR A NEW PHONE.​

LETS INSTALL THE MIC.IT IS THE EASIEST PART OF THIS INSTALLATION---​

PUTTING THE TRIM BACK IS EASY.START FROM THE FRONT AND THEN JUST PUSH UP AND HEAR ALL THE CLICKS.SOME PEOPLE MAY WANT TO SWITCH THE MIC POSTION WITH THE ROOF SWITCH.MY MIC IS GOOD AT THE CURRENT LOCATION.AND IT WORKS PERFECT SINCE I ASKED 5 PEOPLE WHEN MAKING CALLS, AND THEY TOLD ME THEY HEAR ME CLEARLY.AND ALSO THE MIC HOLE HAS TO ADJUSTED/CUT.ITS LITTLE SMALLER THAN THE SWITCH HOLE.I DON'T WANT ANY CUTTING ON MY BABY

NOW LET'S GO IN THE TRUNK AND INSTALL THE BLUETOOTH MODULE.THIS COULD BE THE HARDEST PART OF THE INSTALLATION.DEPENDING ON YOUR EXPERIENCE.​

PULL THE TRIM/BOARD AND YOU SHOULD SEE SOMETHING LIKE THIS,WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE WRAPPED WIRING HARNESS FOR BLUETOOTH MODULE.YOUR'S MIGHT BE CLEAN.OH WELL WHO CARES!!​

NOW LOCATE THE 26 PIN CONNECTOR AND OPEN IT BY PRESSING ON BOTH SIDES WITH A SMALL SCREW DRIVER.​

TAPE THE PINS AND RECONNECT THE CONNECTOR.INSTALL IT ON THE ULF MODULE USING THE WHITE COLOR LEVER ON THE CONNECTOR.IT SHOULD BE EASY.​

HOW TO PAIR YOUR PHONE

PRESS AND HOLD THE PAIRING BUTTON FOR ABOUT 3-5 SECONDS,WHILE HOLDING THE BUTTON TURN THE IGNITION KEY TO POSITION #1.HOLD THE BUTTON FOR ANOTHER 3-5 SECONDS AND RELEASE THE BUTTON.THE DISPLAY SHOULD SHOW "BT PAIRING".NOW PUT THE 4 DIGIT BLUETOOTH CODE THAT CAME WITH THE BLUETOOTH MODULE IN YOUR BLUETOOTH CAPABLE PHONE.THE PHONE SHOULD SAY "PAIRED WITH BMW***.." AND THE CD DISPLAY WITH SHOW "SUCCEEDED".TURN THE KEY OFF.
HELP WAS ALSO TAKEN FROM http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_E46_Bluetooth_Installation_Instructions.html
THANKS TO THEM.
HAVE FUN WITH YOUR BLUETOOTH SYSTEM.NOW IF YOU HAVE TESTED EVRYTHING POSITIVE REINSTALL EVERYTHING TOGETHER.GOOD LUCK.
IF YOU THINK THIS WAS HELPFUL PLEASE DONATE WITH PAYPAL TO XXENYCEJATTXX@HOTMAIL.COM
OR ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT INSTALLATION.I AM WILLING TO HELP MY FELLOW FANATICS WITH FREE INSTALLATION,JUST BRING YOUR PARTS AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT ON MY FREE TIME.IN NYC.

See less See more
#46 ·
why remove pin 7 & 8

if you dont remove these pins on E46 BMWs only...the speedometer won't work!!!
Make sure you do this or u'll have to open up the trunk again to remove pins!!!

#5 ·
I heard about this in the past that if u dont take this pins off,the module will not work.its gotta do something with the system and it was in the instructions that the BMW uses.

#6 ·
does the iphone download your stored phone numbers so you can scroll using the steering wheel arrows, or do you still have do dial using the iphone?

#10 ·
good luck finding a module for a good price.

Anyone have a hard time finding the wiring harness for the mic? I have the logo in the trunk that says I'm pre-wired for a phone in my 03 330i, but I just installed a homelink transmitter in that sunroof console and didnt see another connector for the mic.....??

#12 ·
nice work! I am looking to do this too. The current generation for the BT module is 13th gen. Do you know what the difference is between newer gen modules?

#13 ·
It doesnt matter what generation u get.Only difference that i know about is older first nd second generation does not come with Voice Recognition System..all others do.and as the phones software upgrades they tend to work with older generations.

#14 ·
will definitely be looking into this! great write up!

#15 ·
So just curious.... installing mine as we speak... Your DIY says located the 26 Pin connector.... & remove pins 7 & 8......

The bavarian soundworks DIY Click me on their website says to located the 54 Pin connector & remove pings 7 & 8..... the problem for me is... I don't have a wire in pin 7 but I do in pin 8. It's not numbered so if I count from one end... I don't have any wires in 7 or 8, but if i count from the other end... I do have a wire in 8... but not in 7.

So just curious why you removed pins 7 & 8 from the 26 pin connector instead of the 54 pin connector?

If I look at BimmerNav's DIY Click me it doesn't mention anything about removing pins 7 & 8 from either the 26 pin module or the 54 pin module.... I am confused on what exactly I should be doing....

For what it's worth... my car is a 2005 & I don't have BMW assist.....

#16 ·
i finally saw it was numbered 1 on the far right & 18 on the far left. I don't have any pins in 7 or 8. So now I am off to find the 26 pin connector the SES jumper plugs into...

However, still curious why you removed pins 7 & 8 from the 26 pin connector?????

#21 ·
Up in the part section, you state "7. PAIRING BUTTON HARNESS PART#84110302181 ($18 Dealer,u can bypass this too)"

I have the ULF Module installed in my car, but the the pairing button harness was never installed. I know the bluetooth works because the dealer was somehow able to turn the module onto pairing mode, but now I have a new phone and am having trouble turning on pairing mode. How do you go about bypassing this???

#22 ·
dealer probably used the harness to pair and then took it off.All you need is somehow connect those 2 wires together so they go into pairing mode..once you connect the wires and the phone is paired you dont need those wires again...

#23 ·
ok, stupid question. . . I have a 2000 323Ci which says it's prewired for the phone. It doesn't say bluetooth, but the tag on the trunk looks just like yours, so I'm guessing it's the same. Do the phone and r/t buttons on your steering wheel both work now? Or, do you have a different set of buttons on yours?

-Dann

#24 ·
ok, stupid question. . . I have a 2000 323Ci which says it's prewired for the phone. It doesn't say bluetooth, but the tag on the trunk looks just like yours, so I'm guessing it's the same. Do the phone and r/t buttons on your steering wheel both work now? Or, do you have a different set of buttons on yours?

-Dann
Unfortunately for you it is not the same. Your car predated the bluetooth option for E46's, it's just wired for a phone but not using bluetooth.

#26 ·
Pre-wired: does that involve anything other than having the wiring loom laid out throughout the car already? Do you need any other equipment installed? (I've got everything else, including radio module, but it's the older BM24)

I'm trying to determine what it would take to do this in a European car; we don't have this pre-wiring on anything. So what would I need in addition to what you've done in yours?

#30 ·
None say prewired for bluetooth....they say prewired for BMW phone. That means you can at least add bt capability. Build date would determine if you have it already.

#34 ·
Easiest way to check should be to press the R/T button. No BT and it wont do anything. BT and it will say "connect phone" or "pair phone" or something. At least my 3 E46's have been consistant like that.

#35 ·
Quickest ways to find out if your pre wired for phone/bluetooth

1. Ask Dealer with Vin code
2. Look for Mic slot in headliner panel, if you just have sunroof button and no hole for microphone at all then you won't have the wires preinstalled needed for this install

Anyone interested in purchasing a complete bluetooth kit I have one for sale
16th generation BMW ULF
2nd gen Microphone
Bluetooth antena and cable
microphone cover piece for headliner
button for pairing with wires
other parts needed

I bought all the parts and found I didnt have prewiring and now I want to get an aftermarket option but need to sell the BMW kit first

Price will have to reflect shipping as well as im UK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.