BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 692 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi All,

So after seven years on the OEM battery the 330 was starting to lose it's kick when starting. I just replaced mine with the Wal-Mart Everstart 94R battery. There was some confusion (at least in my mind) as to whether it was an exact replacement... it is.

Paid $77 for the battery plus a $9 core charge. The battery is made by Exide, although that can vary based on market. It comes with a three year replacement warranty and is rated at 730CCA vs 640CCA. There was no specific reserve capacity rating on the Everstart battery, but I have to guess it's similar. The only noticable difference, other than color, is the vent hole is off center by about an inch and a half. This does not affect vent tube attachment, there is plenty of slack in the tube to attach. This battery also had the little holes for the red cover to fit into.

This particular battery is made by Exide. BTW, read an interesting article that Johnson Controls owns Varta, who makes the OEM BMW batteries.

I've posted some pictures below comparing the two.

Hope someone finds this useful...

A

Attachments

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I bought a battery from Wally World too for the same price. They had 94RN's but it fit and the vent tube fit totally fine.

I was at another Walmart and found a white version of the battery too with the same model #. It even had the health indicator eye just like on the OEM white battery.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
damn.. i got one from sears for $150.. lol why couldnt you make this thread about 1.5months ago..

good looking out! i know where my next one will come from

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Those Batteries look nearly identical in the pics. Great Find!

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
5,043 Posts
My local Wal-Mart also has the type 49, which from what I can tell is the 49DL from AutoZone that's been posted here before.

I got the AutoZone 49DL myself for the larger battery, but I will surely try the Wal-Mart one next in five or so years.

Paolo

·
Registered
673 Posts
No, CCA. I should have made that clearer.

Paolo
there's also only a 3 year warranty on it, let us know in 3 years if it's still good.

·
Registered
593 Posts
damn.. i got one from sears for $150.. lol why couldnt you make this thread about 1.5months ago..

good looking out! i know where my next one will come from
Just got a Die Hard from Sears also, paid about the same price for it plus installation. The Sears battery came with a 3 year full replacement warranty, plus another 64 months pro-rated warranty, but I think the Walmart battery may still be a better deal, even at the higher prices they charge in my area.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
FYI:

Sears
International
765CCA
3y/8y (prorated)
$145

Autozone Duralast
49-DL
850CCA
2y/5y (prorated)
$95 + $5 core

94-RDLG (Gold) *told that this would fit my '04 325i
730CCA
3y/5y (prorated)
$145 + $5 core

I'm doing some research on this - thinking preventative :)

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,701 Posts
i have the duralast 49DL in my 01 330i. been in there for at least 3-4 years now, still cranks like a beast!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thanks for the info. My battery is almost 6 years old and will probably need replacing soon, though the indicator is usually green when I check it.

By the way, wtf is the vent tube?

·
Registered
26,258 Posts
Do these batteries have the vent tube? Is it necessary?
Battery has fitting for vent tube, some might come with the tube itself, but your tube is in your car already, going down and out of trunk.

Bats. evidently give off hydrogen and hydrogen explodes so you don't want it in your trunk. Wouldn't want you ending up JetBlack, even if you start that way!

Doug

·
Banned
6,699 Posts
Pretty sure I went with the Duralast 49-DL from AutoZone. It was roughly $90 when I got it about 4 years ago. Their computers won't list it for the e46, so you have to ask for it by model. The only reason I knew to get it was because of this site. It's been running strong since purchase... they even installed it for me :craig:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Battery has fitting for vent tube, some might come with the tube itself, but your tube is in your car already, going down and out of trunk.

Bats. evidently give off hydrogen and hydrogen explodes so you don't want it in your trunk. Wouldn't want you ending up JetBlack, even if you start that way!

Doug
you should always connect the vent tube. Car batteries give off explosive gas while being charged or heated. It also acts as a drain for corrosive acid.

1 - 20 of 692 Posts