E46 Fanatics Forum banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 · (Edited)

^ This is what you***8217;ll see with the glove compartment out, looking at the fuse carrier.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

^ Dropping the fuse block.<o:p></o:p>

^ Removing the buss assembly and locating X428.<o:p></o:p>

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 · (Edited)

^ Removing the buss assembly and locating X428. It's a little difficult to tell when you first look at the picture but at the top of the picture you're looking into the back of the buss module assembly that all the of buss modules clip into.
<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

^ New wire routed and X428 removed from the buss assembly. Next you'll crimp on a medium push-on connector (female) and plug it into X428. These are buss modules that connect a group of wires to a common buss (common to those wires). Now you just need to reassemble everything, code the car and reprogram the ECU!

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 · (Edited)
In the end I demo'd the harness and reused some of the wire/connectors for the mirror dip and other connections I've made since the swap. If I was doing this swap from the beginning again, I'd demo the auto harness right off the bat because all the wiring and a majority of the connectors can be cannibalized from the harness. You can unseat the female pins from one of the automatic harness TCU connectors, with wire pre-attached by BMW, to install in the DME pin 23, and EWS pin 8 connections.

Good job all BTW - It looks like this is a pretty popular conversion :)

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 · (Edited)
Special shout out to genuity and TerraPhantm for adding information, (assistance behind the scenes) and providing helpful input through the life of this thread. Very much appreciated.

May the stick be with you!

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
Same here, Dremel then file to clean the plastic slag left by the cutoff wheel.

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
You can pull the jack and transmission under the car and wriggle the tranny onto the jack once under.

The way I did it, three times now, is to slide the tranny under the car, position yourself right under where the tranny goes, pull it up onto your chest, using your knees steady it and just push it up into position. It only weighs about 80 lbs, plus you can feel it slip on to the pilot bearing and the splines. It only takes about a minute to get it in place, put a couple bolts in finger tight and proceed as normal.

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Glad it helped! :thumbsup:

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
This was a great and useful thread, thank you OP.
One element I didn't see discussed was the pedal. My AT pedal makes the car hyper-sensitive and twitchty compared to my 5sp e46 that was factory manual. Plus it has the "turn it up to 11" factor with the kick down sensor at the top of the travel.

Jumping out of one car to the other is like night and day. Do others swap the manual accelerator assembly or get used to the weird travel in the auto one?

OP are you still Sequim/Seattle local?
If someone is reading this thread and about to head out to the junk yard to pull a 5 or 6 speed, grab the accelerator pedal while you're pulling the pedal assembly. And take the reverse light harness as far up the wire as you can cut it. The one I got was long enough to reach the relay switch with no extension.
Wow - I didn't see this till just now. Yes, local to this area for many years. Spend some time in Seattle and some time in Sequim each week.

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
I have lived with the car like this. Lately I am longing for the cruise control mostly to keep me from speeding and get better fuel economy in these tough times.

Does any one know if its possible to code the cruise control without the EGS installed? I don't care about the clutch switch. I can manage driving the car without it.
Yes you can get cruise control without the EGS installed. That's how I did it.

You need to have the clutch switch installed to do it. It stops the engine from over-reving when you press the clutch in as you hit the brakes.

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
Just to be clear, to get cruise control working, if I follow this guide, especially the wiring part, I can keep cruise control. It seems this is already spelled out in the DIY. I am tackling this this December and then driving 700 miles, so cruise control is crucial....
Yep, just follow the DIY and it'll work. If you have problems or Q's LMK. Hit the thread and if I fail to respond PM me.

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 ·
Google Sheets - ManualConversionPartsList

I hadn't been following since the new fanatics site broke all or the majority of my linked photos from the document BUT the above google sheet is a copy of the one I made to track my expenses and parts requirements. Everyone should have view permissions. LMK if I need to tweak it a bit. (edit - included more info)

Reactions: VpointVick

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
did you plug the hole that the auto shifter cable passed through? Do you remember with what?
I did some digging around and have bought and am hoping that it's right 7147140849, which is a 35mm flat plug.
Yes, I originally plugged it by thoroughly cleaning the hole on both sides. I then used two self vulcanizing tire patches and applied from both sides of the shifter cable hole. It formed an unrelenting bond to the other patch and and sealed it. I ran it that way for several years. Then one day a fellow fanatic contacted me and sent the proper one. I cannot find the part number in my email exchanges but I do recall that he said it was like 35 or 36 mm so it will probably work.

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 ·
I couldn’t read all 22 pages, and I couldn’t figure how to search JUST this thread, but does anybody know whether TitaniumCranium ever changed his stock auto 3.38 differential to something more manual-friendly (2.93, 3.07, 3.15)?

i do see that he swapped out the lightweight flywheel and performance clutch and went back to stock.

Hey @TitaniumCranium - are you there? I will send him a PM if nobody knows the answer…Thanks

great thread btw…
I didn't change the 3.38 out. In 5th gear it has close to the same RPM that my auto had and has overdrive in 6th gear. because of the 3.38 it pulls out of the hole like crazy. 1st gear is a little short but 2nd and 3rd are pretty nice with the 3.38.

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
All images restored to the content!

It's taken a while. This is the second time I've had to re-attach the pictures to the thread because the owner moved the site to a new platform. Instead of hosting the pictures on the site, which I thought would have eliminated ghosted images I should have hosted them myself but here we are again.

• Love
101 - 115 of 115 Posts