E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,702 Posts
I hate to ask, especially since I'm not currently doing this project. DIY was on a 330ci, which his a pre-facelift 2-door. Therefore I can copy this DIY exactly for when I do this to my 328ci?
I feel that, although the cost is more for a 6-speed, the fact that you can keep your stock 3.46, you can get about equal rpm highway cruising.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Coding is slightly different for 2002+ models vs earlier models.

Mechanically, one difference is that 328s came with 4-bolt diffs while 330s came with 6-bolt. So you'll either have to get a 330 diff and use the 330 driveshaft, OR you'll have to get a 325 SMG driveshaft if you want to retain your current diff. And since 325 SMGs were so rare, your only real option for that driveshaft would be to buy new.
Thanks for this, I just asked this question again on another thread. So would the 330 diff mount to my axles? I may have prematurely concluded that the answer is no, but willing to hear from someone more knowledgable on the matter. This is a swap I'd like to do.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
parts diagram shows 328 and 330 axles as 6 bolt, 38mm. But they have different part #s. 330 axle showing as slightly heavier in weight. Not sure why.
325 axles are 31mm, it says.
Looks like you'd be fine reusing your axles. Unless someone knows differently.
HTH.
Thanks for looking into that. I didn't look beyond the PN's. A diff isn't too much trouble at all in my opinion. Someday!

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Just to be clear, to get cruise control working, if I follow this guide, especially the wiring part, I can keep cruise control. It seems this is already spelled out in the DIY. I am tackling this this December and then driving 700 miles, so cruise control is crucial....

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Are you just inquiring if he did or are you asking for experiences?

In my opinion the 3.38 was too short. First gear was worthless and all highway passing was done in 4th. I moved to a 3.15 and am generally happy with my decision.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Pulling the exhaust is really the overlapping labor. If you have everything else, I would do that first and come back for the diff. When you do the diff, do the bushings, so make a diff swap your own day. I believe a 3.38 with a 6spd is about the same as a 5spd with a 2.93, roughly (for the top gear)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts