BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Driving a 99 323ci and experiencing the below problem :

Rear tail light drivers side is ALWAYS giving me a bulb out error and is making the right indicator tick insanely fast.

I've tried changing all bulbs and the error still occurs aswell as the indicator problem.

When parkers/headlights are on, the bulb out error seems to vanish and right indicator stops ticking insanely fast and returns to how it should be.

Once headlights/parkers are turned off, bulb error will reappear and indicator problem returns.

I've been sitting on the problem for quite some time now and am suspecting that the resistors in the drivers tail light have gone?

NOTE : I don't even know if they have resistors in them?

Considering just purchasing a replacement set of tail lights from Jason - EuroDvision and getting the LED's in hope that this would somehow correct my problems.

Any feedback would be great !

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
There's a common problem with all early model 3's with the r/h side rear tail light. It's the ground wire in the wiring loom connector where the connector plugs into the r/h tail light assy. Take you rear cover off the tail light (inside the boot) and pull out the plug. Look at the metals pins on the cover and there maybe some brown corrosion around one of the pins near the middle. This is the earth pin and quite often causes problems. When I had this problem on mine, I just got a small needle file and scratched the surface of the pin and also the inside of the connector plug that matches that pins location. This fixed the problem for about 9-12 months and then I just needed to scratch it again to get rid of some of the oxidisation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, found a great DIY with pics included :)

If i was to upgrade to LED tail lights, how would the process go? The fix i read is - attach an extra piece of wire to your existing ground wire and attach that to the metal frame ( piece with your globes in it ).

Just wondering how it would all work seeing as the LED tail lights from euro division have a whole new/replacement plug for power =/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts