E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting sat radio for the zhp since i spend so much time in my car... I see that parts are around 400 from circle, how easy it of a DIY if anyone has done this? I was considering just going with an Ipod hookup first but realized that I am way too lasy to update/download for my ipod on regular basis and I would rather have something that is constantly updated. BTW I as far as I understand you can get XM to work with our radios too, but XM vs. Sirius is a tossup :hmm: Any thoughts?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sorry I can't help with your install quandaries but would like to comment that until satellite radio is standard and
I don't have to pay/subscribe for programming it's not for me-I don't buy bottled water either except in Europe or Asia where it's very often a hygenic necessity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Liscia said:
Sorry I can't help with your install quandaries but would like to comment that until satellite radio is standard and
I don't have to pay/subscribe for programming it's not for me-I don't buy bottled water either except in Europe or Asia where it's very often a hygenic necessity.
12.95 A month to not have to listen to commercials and DJ's, sounds well worth it to me

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
longshanks77 said:
12.95 A month to not have to listen to commercials and DJ's, sounds well worth it to me
That's what I was thinking, also the fact that you can see who is the artist and title name is great. I am just wondering what those with experience have to chime in on this subject.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have it, its just plug two wires in and it works. It goes in teh trunk, and My annt is on my trunk lid. You just have to make sure that your car is pre-wired from the factory.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
///MMB said:
I have it, its just plug two wires in and it works. It goes in teh trunk, and My annt is on my trunk lid. You just have to make sure that your car is pre-wired from the factory.
I have a 04' coupe so its prewired... did you purchase your kit from circle bmw? did it come with instructions? how do you like it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought the XM Direct package and, other than taking about 15-20 minutes to find the wires in the trunk, took me a very short amount of time to install.

The XM Direct package is cheaper than the Sirius package and the monthly service charge is 9.99 (or 11.98 with Opie and Anthony), so it's cheaper than Sirius.

I've had it installed for the past week and I love it. Sound quality is excellent and there are more great stations than you can program on your headunit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
capinsac said:
I bought the XM Direct package and, other than taking about 15-20 minutes to find the wires in the trunk, took me a very short amount of time to install.

The XM Direct package is cheaper than the Sirius package and the monthly service charge is 9.99 (or 11.98 with Opie and Anthony), so it's cheaper than Sirius.

I've had it installed for the past week and I love it. Sound quality is excellent and there are more great stations than you can program on your headunit.
is XM Direct the same thing as XM radio, sorry I am not up to date on this. You retain the same functionality as you would have with sirius using the XM Direct module?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
ChosenGSR said:
I have a 04' coupe so its prewired... did you purchase your kit from circle bmw? did it come with instructions? how do you like it?

I think I paid like $360 from the whole sale of VOB BMW. Are you near rockville? If you are Ill give u the guys e-mail.

(ur info says ur in baltimore, but in MD?)

·
Registered
37 Posts
ChosenGSR said:
is XM Direct the same thing as XM radio, sorry I am not up to date on this. You retain the same functionality as you would have with sirius using the XM Direct module?
XM Direct is the tuner that interfaces (using the Blitzsafe adapter) with your stock HU. You have the same functionality as the Sirius package.

Here's some good write-ups on the install of XM Direct.
http://members.roadfly.org/patton03m3/xmDIY.html
http://www.my330i.com/mod34.php

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
///MMB said:
I think I paid like $360 from the whole sale of VOB BMW. Are you near rockville? If you are Ill give u the guys e-mail.

(ur info says ur in baltimore, but in MD?)
I am in owings mills area, but wouldn't mind driving if I have to pick it up. PM me the info please :) I assume its the whole OEM package as in the installation kit, reciever and the antena?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
capinsac said:
XM Direct is the tuner that interfaces (using the Blitzsafe adapter) with your stock HU. You have the same functionality as the Sirius package.

Does this unit also show the artist and the track title or no?

EDIT:

I think I see that it does display if you press the info button but it only shows it for about 5 seconds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ChosenGSR said:
I am in owings mills area, but wouldn't mind driving if I have to pick it up. PM me the info please :) I assume its the whole OEM package as in the installation kit, reciever and the antena?[/QU

You might be hard pressed to find the Sirius receiver in stock right now. I have been waiting for about a month now and it is on backorder. I called Circle and Pacific BMW and they had none in stock. My dealer is BMW of Arlington.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Garevels said:
ChosenGSR said:
I am in owings mills area, but wouldn't mind driving if I have to pick it up. PM me the info please :) I assume its the whole OEM package as in the installation kit, reciever and the antena?[/QU

You might be hard pressed to find the Sirius receiver in stock right now. I have been waiting for about a month now and it is on backorder. I called Circle and Pacific BMW and they had none in stock. My dealer is BMW of Arlington.
wow interesting, howmuch did your local dealership want for it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
ChosenGSR said:
wow interesting, howmuch did your local dealership want for it?
My local dealership wanted around $550 for the receiver. You can get the receiver with the antenna and installation kit for $400 from Circle when it is in stock.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Gatta get that stuff whole sale.
ChosenGSR said:
I am in owings mills area, but wouldn't mind driving if I have to pick it up. PM me the info please :) I assume its the whole OEM package as in the installation kit, reciever and the antena?
PM sent

·
Registered
125 Posts
capinsac said:

Installed XM also, took 15 minutes to install.
I wired the antenna onto the roof and hid the wire under the rubber seal around the window.
Works great and didnt pay full $300 price.
Got the $50 XM Direct kit from Circuit City and got the Blitzsafe from my electronics contact, whole setup cost not even $200

Can control all features from the wheel, on startup of radio it displays Sirius and immetiately switches display to XM Radio.
I got the adapter that works with CD Changer.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess the main question is does one want sirius or xm since the features are identical.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ChosenGSR said:
I guess the main question is does one want sirius or xm since the features are identical.
This topic has been discussed at length on several other BMW boards, but the bottom line is:

XM is 9.99 a month, Sirius is 12.99

XM just dropped commercials on almost all of their channels (all of the ones I listen to), Sirius is commerical-free

XM has over 2.5 million subscibers, Sirius has less than 1 million (but with Stern signing with them, this should go up, albeit he won't be there until 2006), so XM appears to be the company with less risk of going belly up soon

...and most importantly, XM has Opie and Anthony. This was probably the main reason I went with XM.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts