E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've searched and searched but found nothing on this topic. I have a 2006 330Ci convertible with the OEM radio/cd/nav. I bought the car about 2 weeks ago. This is my first BMW.

According to vin decoder I have:

S550A On-board computer
S609A Navigation system Professional
S640A Preparation f tel.installation universal
S645A BMW US Radio
S650A CD player
S674A Hi-Fi System Harman Kardon
S692A Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus

Questions:

CD volume is way lower than FM radio. I see all kinds of posts regarding Aux volume being low (I haven't hooked up an Aux cable yet) but nothing about CD. Is there a way to adjust this?

Sound quality in general is not what I would expect from a professional Harmon Kardon System. Maybe this is just due to the fact that the car is 11 years old, but I really have to turn the volume up a great deal to get reasonable volume even with the top up. Once I do get the volume up the quality of the audio doesn't seem to be that great. I have the sub woofer in the trunk but I would have never known it was there if I hadn't seen it.

Is it possible that someone could have previously removed a component from the system (amp or something) that is degrading the audio quality and volume?

Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
1: HK does suck on e46.
2: can't comment on bordunit CD player volume as mine has never worked. I have run stuff thru the cd Changer connection however. But it is pretty normal for cd volume to be lower than fm. Most Fm stations boost their volume since they are bandpassed with little highs and no real lows. Louder sells better didnchaknow?
3: no gain adjustment for CD player or cd Changer that I have ever found, just for aux. really you'd want a gain control for fm to reduce its volume, not to boost cd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've lately been thinking the same thing regarding the FM being over-boosted. Now that I have an AUX cable hooked up the FM is the odd man out being louder than both AUX and CD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.