BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my car I didn't have enough money for the navigation system, but now I definetely want one, and my question is should I go OEM or aftermarket like Alpine?

If I go OEM, I'll most likely not be installing it on my own and take it directly to the BMW dealer, which I know will cost a lot of $$. If I go aftermarket, I'm gonna get it from like Best Buy or something and have them install it there. What are the pros and cons for those of you who have experienced both or even one of them?

For the price I'll pay, which is better and more cost effective?

Is it hard to do the OEM navigation DIY? I might consider doing it if it's not hard...it depends. Lemmme know! :dunno:

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,650 Posts
i've been told that the install on the OEM is very lengthy & challenging/difficult; your best bet is probably aftermarket; i posted on this topic a couple of days ago, do a search on for some aftermarket pics

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nothing can top the alpine navigation. I have it and im glad i didnt get the oem nav. It is one of the best units out there. You can watch dvds while getting directions.

·
Network Analyst
3,469 Posts
You can custom mount an LCD screen in the spot where the ashtray and sunglassholder compartment sits. I've seen pics of it floating around and it looks nice. Look into that. You're only other alternative would be to mount an LCD screen in front of the center air vents.

dave

·
Registered
547 Posts
Every OEM navigation I have used in BMW gets me know where near my destination.... I would go with Alpine...11 mill locations. My dad doesn't even use his navigation in his BMW anymore because it never helps...aways gets him lost, It can't even get him to his own house that has been there for 17 years. It just pisses him off whenever he gets in his car and sees the screen.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't know why its gettin ya lost clarkrw3. Mine works perfectly. A few times I thought it was taking me the wrong way but it was actually taking me on a very unknown shortcut. The thing always gives me the quickest route to where I'm going. Might be something wrong with it???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts