E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Thoughts

• I DIDN'T have to cut ANYTHING for the hood to fit properly

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • I DID have to cut to make things fit, but not much

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I DID have to cut several things to make it fit properly

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Just sell it and drop your car already

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Just sell it and get a new bumper

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Sell it to me...

Votes: 12 34.3%
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
21,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haha...now that I got your attention I would really appreciate some help.

This afternoon I finally attempted to put my OEM M3 hood onto my car. After several people telling me I didnt need to cut anything I figured I would give it a shot.

Several people told me I was going to have to cut stuff to get a perfect fit, and if I had to cut anything I was just going to sell it. I dont care enough about the hood to want to cut anything.

Anyways, the issue I am having is like most, when attempting to do this mod. The gaps along the side of the hood and the gaps along the headlights....

I tried to push/pull the fenders to lessen the gap, but there didnt seem to be enough movement in the fenders to really make anything much better.

So I decided to get as much help as possible I would take some pics.... PLEASE HELP ME.

If any of you have done this, and didnt have to cut anything, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP.

If you had to cut, let me know.

If I dont get this figured out by tomorrow night I am just going to sell the thing.

And yes, I know I need a drop and front bumper... If I do end up selling this thing the money will go to the "drop my car" fund :rofl:

Anyways, please help me

well here are the pics..... :hi:

Thanks for everything

·
De46vil's Army
13,726 Posts
You need to cut the headlights in half.

No, sorry Cole, I dunno. But :bump:

·
Registered
15,897 Posts
Oh man I didn't realize it was you. You should just get a way to get it done. that looks so sweet. the gap doesn't look that bad. i don't know I'm sold with it...

·
Registered
21,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to cut the headlights in half.

No, sorry Cole, I dunno. But :bump:
:rofl: thanks ABM

Oh man I didn't realize it was you. You should just get a way to get it done. that looks so sweet. the gap doesn't look that bad. i don't know I'm sold with it...
thanks... I'm working on getting it to work...

the gap isnt horrid, but its enough to bug me when I see it....

does look sweet. wish i could help brotha.

:bump:
thanks bro.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Damn bro, the car's looking clean. I say you MAKE it work. LOL. But ya, I can't help either, but keep up the good work.

P.s. What % tint are you running? :D

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
aren't you supposed to loosen the hex bolt things on the top of the fenders and move them around that way to get it to fit? also looks like you don't have it straight on the hinges, i'd loosen those up and try to shift it over to even out the gap...

·
Registered
21,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn bro, the car's looking clean. I say you MAKE it work. LOL. But ya, I can't help either, but keep up the good work.

P.s. What % tint are you running? :D
I'll work on it... got nothing better to do tomorrow... :)

and just legal % for washington....

30 up front, 20 in the back, then a 20 strip on the windshield

I want 20 all around though

aren't you supposed to loosen the hex bolt things on the top of the fenders and move them around that way to get it to fit? also looks like you don't have it straight on the hinges, i'd loosen those up and try to shift it over to even out the gap...
I did move the fenders around...just not much movement....

didnt try the hinges though...thanks.... but what exactly am I suppose to do with it?

·
Registered
983 Posts
It's not that far off don't give up.

Loosen all the fender bolts slightly. Take the adjustment bolts out at the front of the fender completely maybe the first three. Push the fender in with the hood closed and see how nice the gap gets. Get someone else to open the hood so you can look at the mounting holes in the fender without moving it. Check how much of the threaded fender bolt holes are covered by the fender flange. That's the amount that you are going to need to grind out so you can get the fender bolts back in with the fender in that position.

Make sure you have the hood centered on the hinges first. Then at the rear of the fenders make sure you loosen the bolts that are not only on the top of the fender but inside the door jamb area. It looks like those can come out more. You might have to do the same thing like the front but grinding on the edge of the flange so the fender comes out more not in.

On the hinges you will find a stop bolt that the hinge hits when the hood is closed. Turn that out and see how much higher you can get the hood to sit up when closed. You might also have to use thin spacers in between the hood and the hinges to get the hood high enough to sit flush with your fenders.

Kind of tough to explain via email but that should give you a good start.

·
Registered
21,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^

but the thing is...

I dont want to grind/cut anything.... i dont care enough about the hood to mess with cutting anything...

thank you btw....

·
Registered
983 Posts
I understand but wanted to let you know how you can get it to fit if you want.

The flange is the piece that is getting a small amount of material taken off. When the bolt is back in you can't see that anything was ever done.

·
Registered
21,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we'll see I guess.... do you happen to have any pics of where these bolts are that I need to get at? or just mark one of mine...

thank you :)

I really do appreciate the help :bow:

·
Registered
983 Posts
No problem dude I always try and help if I can.

I don't have any pics but I'm sure someone on here does. The bolts are the ones you loosened to move the fender. The Torx flat head bolts.

·
Registered
21,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got cha....

i thought there was another bolt that i didnt know about...

I've already removed em and tried adjusting the fender....there just isnt that much give...

·
Registered
21,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright, so I went out...took out all of the bolts (5 on top) and then the 1 in the door jam.

I was able to get the hood to line up properly (along the side anyways) but by pulling out the fender (near the door), the fender and the door then had a gap, the fender popped out further. Which wouldnt be noticeable if you were looking at the car side one but def noticeable if you looked from the back or front. Its not MAJOR, but it is enough to annoy me, isnt perfect.
Another issue when I got everything to line up, i noticed (like Painterdude said) I would have to drill out (or cut out) the fender flange a little bit. Which I dont really want to do. I'll take some pics tomorrow...

So I am hoping someone else out there has another suggestion where I dont have a noticeable gap, and dont have to cut anything.

I just want to thank everyone, especially Painterdude, for their help. :bow:

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
whats up cole

looks good, fitment isn't too too bad so you are almost there

epopa has a DIY thread for m3 hood fitment, did you see that yet?

not sure if this will help, hope it does

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=462505

if that doesn't work........ why not bring it to a body shop and see if they can help? i guarantee you it won't cost you a lot of money. they have to make things fit all day long, i'm sure your hood would be a walk in the park for them anyways :dunno:

good luck :hi:

·
Registered
21,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
whats up cole

looks good, fitment isn't too too bad so you are almost there

epopa has a DIY thread for m3 hood fitment, did you see that yet?

not sure if this will help, hope it does

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=462505

if that doesn't work........ why not bring it to a body shop and see if they can help? i guarantee you it won't cost you a lot of money. they have to make things fit all day long, i'm sure your hood would be a walk in the park for them anyways :dunno:

good luck :hi:
yeayh I saw his DIY, but he had to cut several things, and I would rather not do that. As for body shops...I'm not sure what they could do that I couldnt. :dunno:

I know exactly what you need to do.......

get a real M3 hehe.j/k just a thought
:idea:

eh, 'sal right

1 - 20 of 100 Posts