BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I, with the help of JeremySmith1967, will be performing a DIY CF roof installation. And yes...we are using an ///OEM CSL ROOF. Prep started today and the install will take us through Friday so keep up with this thread because I will be updating it over the next few days :craig: So anyways, here are some pictures I took today of the beginning stage...tear down. I did this stage on my own and JeremySmith1967 will jump on board tomorrow once the installation stage begins. Tomorrow we will be pulling down the sunroof, cutting the roof off, and putting on the CF roof. Then, Tuesday we will have the glass put back in and voila. Then, later in the week I will be recieving the rest of my new parts...black headliner, pillars, cube trim, etc. and leather Recaro Pole Position seats and black sabelt harnesses. Also, all pieces you see ARE FOR SALE...if interested, check this thead:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=480006

Also, pics are small...CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Anyways, I won't ramble anymore...to the pics!

Special thanks to FlzRider for lettin' me borrow his garage to take care of this...it was near 98-100 degrees outside today...I started outside but I wouldn't have been able to finish because it was too hot...so thanks again, dude.

FlzRider's Top Secret Toolboxes :pimpin:

Out with the old...

PARTS FOR SALE!

AGAIN, PARTS ARE FOR SALE!

Another ~15 lbs of sound deadeding removed from the car :craig:

The race-car mod...
That's FlzRider's non-sport driver's seat...I sold him my sport seats and I'm rocking this until the Recaro Pole Positions and Sabelt 6-points arrive later this week :rofl:

So there's stage one, guys. Stay tuned for more goodies tomorrow and the following days!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
dammn you guys got big balls for doing that ....props cant wait to see the progress
:thanks: Stay tuned and you'll see soon enough :craig:

Nice!!! Someone's a track junkie :eeps:
:shhh: I'm trying to get more track time in...I can't ever get enough of it.

do you really need to take off all the interior trim to change the roof?
The rear side panels need to be taken off to allow access to the B-Pillar. The B-Pillars need to be removed in order to drop the headliner. I didn't need to remove the rear deck but I wanted to so I can get some more weight reduction and since the only way to take it out is to remove the c pillars, I figured I'd go ahead and take care of it now. As for the trunk, the trunk always looks like that. I've always had it gutted and I've never had rear seats...rear-seat-deletes FTW.

Here...click pictures for full-sized versions:

·
Registered
271 Posts
:thumbsup: Best of Luck on your Mod! It's so rewarding. When I got that 83rd spot weld drilled out it was like cutting my grand daughter's umbilical cord. TAPE your edges around the glass before they come out to remove it. I'm living with marred paint at some of the seams from the one step I had to farm out. Also, disconnect your rear defog plug on driver side and the radio antenna connection. I didn't and they cut through them, leaving me a soldering task. Also, the glass company charges more for the new seals on F&R then I paid at the dealership. Don't let them mount the rear with the nominal amount of sealant/sealer they are use to using. Your glass will ride a couple mm too high. (bad for top end, ha!) Hope you bought the special drills for spotweld drilling. AND have a quality centerpunch! My first four holes, in pic below, took me 1 hour. The last 20, front side, took 20 minutes. Don't start the task as I did by having a root canal 3 hours before the glass company came out. More attempt at humor...... Keep the pix coming! Congrats on the pole positions! I put in BCF Cobra seats. I admire weight saving tasks like yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
you guys are insane lol good luck bro! make sure u seal that ***** up well wen ur done so it wont leak, and i cant wait to see it in person bro!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Sweet! Quick question about this type of thing though...can you put a CF roof on a sedan? Are the roof dimensions the same?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Sweet! Quick question about this type of thing though...can you put a CF roof on a sedan? Are the roof dimensions the same?
you might be able to find a sedan specific roof... but the coupe/sedan roof dimensions are 100% not the same.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts