E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the OEM alarm?

I went to install it today, got all the parts and pieces in properly and the damn thing wouldn't start. For some reason whatever I had installed drained the battery quite rapidly. I had the radio on but the car off while I was installing it. That was about 20 minutes. Not nearly enough to kill the battery.

Any suggestions? This should be an easy DIY.

Fortunately BMW roadside assistance showed up in about 30 minutes :)

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,156 Posts
I have install the OEM alarm in my car and it was a piece of cake. But you will need to goto the dealer to activate it in order for it to work. Its about $60 to program your keys and if you have anything else you want to program like turning on or off your day time running lights. I would have them do it at same time.

About draining your battery....:dunno: but I never work on my car with the radio running. I always disconnect the battery so you can't short anything while your working. I like to be safe cus you never know if you bump things by accident. :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was VERY easy actually. I completely installed it, and went to turn the car on - nothing. It just sputtered. The dealer said it'd only be 47.50 to program the key and whatnot. I'm going to try again tomorrow. Worse comes to worst, I'll just jump the battery again.

BTW - what do you use to disconnect the battery? Physically I mean. And do you disconnect the connection in the front or back?

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,156 Posts
Jeremy152 said:
It was VERY easy actually. I completely installed it, and went to turn the car on - nothing. It just sputtered. The dealer said it'd only be 47.50 to program the key and whatnot. I'm going to try again tomorrow. Worse comes to worst, I'll just jump the battery again.

BTW - what do you use to disconnect the battery? Physically I mean. And do you disconnect the connection in the front or back?
I disconnect right at the battery in the back and just used an adjustable wrench or socket wrench. good luck :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.