BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a '99 328i with about 110,000 miles on it. Got it about 5 years ago etc etc, and recently found out something pretty interesting when i killed the battery. It seems that each time i disconnect the battery the odometer goes back to 90,458 miles. I was surprised to find that when i got back in my car after installing the autozone battery my car was ~20,000 newer! Well worth the money. But seriously...has anyone else experienced anything like this

-Aaron

·
Registered
20 Posts
i believe neil1138 had the same problem could be wrong
Yeah I remember someone about a month or two ago posting a very similar problem.

Edit: I found neil's thread, in that thread his car goes from 100k something miles to 600k miles. But I also remember another thread where someone had the problem of the odometer turning backwards as well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i believe neil1138 had the same problem could be wrong

you are right he did have an odometer problem, but he reported that his then stopped working altogether. maybe if i do some sequence of battery disconnects i can get my car back to new. :p

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Sporty 66

IT seems a few people have this "problem." errrr...or a few peoples cars have this advantage. haha

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
It has to do with the way the modules that store the mileage sync with each other. In your case, they didn't sync for some reason and when you disconnected the battery, the mileage went back to the last time they did sync. My mileage fiasco was of another caliber, but yours isn't an unheard of case. Normally it just goes back a couple miles though, not 20k miles...

I explained it in this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=724268

Pretty much, check your fuses. One of them is out, probably the fuse for the LCM

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
600k wow, actually I wouldn't mind that, it'd be kinda cool/unique

1 - 12 of 12 Posts