BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on bimmerfest a few weeks ago, and while I don't usually like to post across the boards, the guys over there, while being extremely nice and helpful, were unable to reach a conclusion as to what this noise might be.

On cold days below 50F, while driving my car at speeds from 30mph up and at rpms of 1500-2500 I hear a very annoying screeching, whining type of sound from what seems to be the passenger side of the engine compartment. I have already ruled out wind related noise, and I have been unable to reproduce the sound in neutral with just revving the motor. The noise seems to get worse the colder it is outside and doesn't have anything to do with the actual engine temperature. Any ideas will be appreciated as this sound is very annoying and I would like to track down its cause. I have attached a video to help you guys under stand what I am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94KAlqCgDhk

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
that's very odd sound. you sure your car is not haunted?
just a thought, was your re-circulation set to auto mode?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, it's starting to seem like it. And no my HVAC does not have the auto recirc function. I had the circulation set to external air.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Try having someone video the engine bay while you turn the steering wheel while parked (and engine running). It could be your PS pump.. but I'm betting it's your pulleys (their bearings) have gone out... Under load (while driving) it's just enough stress/pressure to cause those annoying sounds. Either that or your serpentine belt is so frayed that's it's slipping...

Check it out and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try having someone video the engine bay while you turn the steering wheel while parked (and engine running). It could be your PS pump.. but I'm betting it's your pulleys (their bearings) have gone out... Under load (while driving) it's just enough stress/pressure to cause those annoying sounds. Either that or your serpentine belt is so frayed that's it's slipping...

Check it out and let us know what you find.
As far as the power steering pump goes, i'll check that out. But as far as the belts/pulleys go, both belts, both tensioners, and the idler pulley were all replaced less than six months ago.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
As far as the power steering pump goes, i'll check that out. But as far as the belts/pulleys go, both belts, both tensioners, and the idler pulley were all replaced less than six months ago.
shouldnt be pully related.
more like in a specific gear when the sound happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so should I try shifting through the gears "manually" and see if I can trace it to a particular gear? If that ends up being what it is, what would that mean?

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Ok, so should I try shifting through the gears "manually" and see if I can trace it to a particular gear? If that ends up being what it is, what would that mean?
try that first.:lmao: then we talk.
probably one of the clutches?
or the torque converter?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, tried shifting through the gears this morning and that had no effect on the sound. As for the PS pump, I couldn't get anyone to listen as I turned the wheel, but I couldn't hear anything loud enough to hear from the drivers seat with AC, radio, and all those noise making things off. I recorded two more clips today, one of the noise changing pitch as I drive along and an other one of the engine bay at idle. I will attach theses and let me know what you think.

*I know the heater is on and it is hard to hear, but the noise I am referring to is high-pitched and stands out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shYJ4e6aK_c

*Here is a video of the car idling. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NWTOCAS-QU

1 - 12 of 12 Posts