E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my new 2004 330i auto has a shudder. This is an important problem because all my other little faults have been diagnosed and are ready to be fixed under warranty. This one however has the capacity to leave the mechanics dumbfounded and me car-less.

I am CONVINCED that it is NOT a suspension related issue nor is it my brakes. It feels driveline.

It's a light sort of shudder, like when you labour a manual car (5th gear at 30km/h for example) or when a car is on the verge of stalling.

When it does it.
1. As I'm coming to a stop in the last 5km/h or so. It does not do it when I ease to a stop without brakes and it does not do it if I stop in neutral. The combination of braking against the push of the transmission seems to cause it. It also does not do it 100% of the time that I stop, but usually more so if I stop roughly as opposed to a very slow gentle stop.

2. It did it last night as I applied quick and tight lock on the steering doing a three point turn, which indicates engine labouring.

3. I can feel extra vibrations coming through into the cabin during certain take -off's and driving conditions. Haven't paid attention to these enough to notice any patterns yet.

DETAILS.

1. With or without air-conditioning makes no difference.
2. I can smell oil burning but only really noticeable when I start it in the garage. The dealer cleaned the engine bay so I cant see leaks.
3. TBA

What else do you guys need to know? Anyone got any idea? Even if no one can figure it out, how expensive/serious a problem does it seem to be?

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
its just transmission downshifting while you slowing down.
you can try to flash the latest transmission software which they claim soften the downshifts a little.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,059 Posts
I wonder if your torque converter is locked up and not releasing. I assume the slushboxes have lock-up converters.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
NEW INFO.
I'm sure this is not a normal function of the gearbox. And I'll look into torque converter problems, hmmm? Thanks!

1. First and second gear just over 2000rpm get's quite rough for about 200rpm.

2. Note the tiny drop in rev's as I come to a stop. This is exactly when the vibrations happen. You will need to fullscreen it.

http://youtu.be/PuMd7Q3jkRw

(this isn't the best example of it happening, was a pretty mild stop, but its when I had the video out)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts