E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 325i sedan with 145,000 miles. To date has been bullet proof (although I did the Mango cooling system upgrade 2.5 years ago). Still drives like a young car, burns no oil--or no more oil than BMW's typically do--and is a pleasure to drive. Lately, I hear a 'tick-tick-tick' sound from the front end at low speed turns or U-turns. If it were a front wheel drive car, I would suspect half shaft/CV joint wear. That's what it sounds like. Any ideas? Thanks for any help anyone might offer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sprintman: the front control arm bushings--Meyle heavy duty--are about a year/15,000 miles old. New Sachs struts/shocks replaced 2.5 years ago. LCA's are original to my knowledge. BavAuto has a control arm replacement kit that they claim is an upgrade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the ticking frequency proportional to the wheel speed? If yes, I would look for some part of the wheel, rotor, hub rubbing on something.
BaliDawg: does seem to increase with speed, but I can't find any area of rubbing. Also, there has been no impact or damage that would push things out of allignment and cause a rub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.