BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people.
Instead of installing the full diagnostic software package on a windows machine, can I use an ODB2 wireless dongle and connect it to an app on my phone?

I have the ABS+Red Brake+Warning lights on + speedometer not working+ fuel efficiency ot working; so I guess it's the ABS sensors, but I'd like to check error codes before giving the car into the shop - just to make sure I am being quoted for the correct work.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
OBDFusion can scan only the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak). You need more sophisticated software to scan the other modules.

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
Also understand that dealing with software can be a PITA.

Any Professional or Pro-sumer level scan tool that supports ABS should be able to provide codes and data. Clearly a more advanced tool that support more than OBDII and ABS would be desireable.

Even something like Autel and Foxwell tools should be useful, but clearly Snap-On and Launch tools that have the BMW modules/support for all modules should be able to read and display all related codes.

See of you know anyone that has a Professional/Prosumer level tool or consider paying for a "Diagnostic" scan with more than just OBDII locally.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys. Software installed, cable arriving tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hello good people.
Instead of installing the full diagnostic software package on a windows machine, can I use an ODB2 wireless dongle and connect it to an app on my phone?

I have the ABS+Red Brake+Warning lights on + speedometer not working+ fuel efficiency ot working; so I guess it's the ABS sensors, but I'd like to check error codes before giving the car into the shop - just to make sure I am being quoted for the correct work.
that's more than likely no power to the mk60 abs pump than abs sensors not working.

no power to mk60 = no speedometer. Start by checking fuses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve got the cable and the programs installed. Which program do I open to get the error code reading?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's more than likely no power to the mk60 abs pump than abs sensors not working.

no power to mk60 = no speedometer. Start by checking fuses.

Oh, I was missing a fuse on 56, so I took from 59 and put into 56. Now the warning lights are gone!
But the dome lights are not working :)
On my way to the store to buy more fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts