E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2001 330ci manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I have a 2001 bmw 330ci manual. It runs great but sometimes after a pull the car will lose a few cylinders. It goes back to normal after I turn it off and back on again, this has happened twice in total and it has been months since the first time but tonight it happened again. I have no clue if the problem is directly related to me doing pulls with it but both times it’s happened the car falls on its face around 5k rpm in second gear. Has anyone else had this problem?

· Premium Member
5,128 Posts
Agreed- pay special attention to 'shadow' codes in this case.

A sensor that loses signal can do it, too- and it may only be losing signal
at higher rpms under full load.
Or a coil may be failing- they work hardest in those conditions.

It SOUNDS like a fuel delivery problem, but that usually doesn't result in a misfire
after the fact.

t

· Registered
2002 330ci auto
1,700 Posts
I’ve had the same issue for a while. Only under very high load. Engine will shut down a cylinder or two after getting “misfire with fuel cutoff”.

I think it’s to do with an aftermarket fuel pump which can’t keep up the fuel flow. I don’t get the problem often enough to justify changing the pump

· Registered
2005 330xi, Jet Black w Black Interior
214 Posts
Same issue with me, only it happens when idling too. I've replaced the fuel pump and it does it less but still happens occasionally. I've got lean codes from both banks. I'll address those when the weather gets a little warmer.

· Administrator
2013 X1 M-sport
22,530 Posts
We get several threads like this one every single day. If people browse the Important Links, do some reading, check the fault codes and important PIDs at hot idle, they can solve it themselves most times. But we are here to help out. Let’s see what OP responds with.

· Registered
2001 330ci manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Misfires with fuel cutoff do that. Read the fault codes and report back.
Most likely you have fuel managment issues. Look at the main PIDs at hot idle, check fuel pressure, etc.
Oh ok, I also have a intermittent misfire on cold starts that tends to go away after 10-20 seconds, could the two problems be related?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts