BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen and Ladies:

First, this is about my son's 2004 E60 521i. Sorry to post here, but I suspect someone here is smart enough to help.

I plugged my chinese interface and P.A. Soft v1.36 unit into the under-dash 16 pin "D" connector, a constant "no connection." We tried turning the key to all positions, starting the software with the key off/on, connector off key on, connector on, key off, etc. As many permutations as possible.

I then pull out my Peake SRS 16 reset device... a constant "E" code. The pamphlet says that there is no connection with the unit.

Is there a lockout on the E60... some setting in the Status electronics to allow connection that a lowly E46 doesn't know anything about?

The one thing we did not try is a Master-Clear (disconnecting the battery).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you sure that there is power getting to the OBD connector? I had a similar issue with my wife's car - turned out the fuse for the cigarette lighter had blown. Same fuse for the OBD interface in her car (GMC).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi -

While I can't speak to connection issues with your software product, I can tell you that our R5/SRS tool is not compatible beyond '03 model years. Further, the only module our SRS tool attempts to connect with is the airbag module.

Given that, using our product as a 'test' for connectivity is not going to give you any confirmation. If you have our R5/FCX3 tool, you would be able to make this confirmation (as well as reading codes if the system was communicating, of course).

That said, as mentioned above, it would be advisable to check fuses - including those that power the cluster. There may be an interruption in power causing a communication error with your other software. It's also possible there is a problem with that product, of course.

Best of luck,

Ken

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response

g0sensg0 and Ken at Peake:

Thank you both for your replies.

There is a power indicator on my Chinese interface box that illuminates with the car power switch, so I assumed that power to the connector must be okay. But, now I will indeed check the fuses...

Ken, thanks for reminding me that the R5/SRS-16 is limited to the older series. BTW, I confirmed that both products work on my 2001 E46.

Thanks again for the replies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts