BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any way to extract 2 pins that are broken off and stuck inside the obd-II port?

or is there an alternate obd-II port that i can use?

word of advice: don't ever buy the scanning tool that is on sale at advanced auto parts for $25 :facepalm:

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,888 Posts
Wow - sorry to hear about that.

Judging from the photo in your signature, you have a facelifted car, which tells me the OBDII port is the only link to the diagnostic system. Older E46s also have the round port in the engine bay for BMW diagnostics.

If you are able to extract the broken pins from the port (I'd suggest patiently attacking the job with the smallest needle nose pliers you can find - and some ibuprofen for your back!), PLEASE consider using a Peake tool for diagnostics. They are made for BMWs only, meaning they ignore the often misleading OBDII codes written by the government for emissions monitoring. In addition to being appropriately designed and programmed for YOUR car, they are extremely high quality tools.

We carry the full line of Peake products at low prices and include free priority shipping for domestic orders.

Have a look at the article in my signature titled "Is your check engine light on?" for more information about the tools.

Best of luck with the pin extraction!

Ken

·
Registered
26,430 Posts
is there any way to extract 2 pins that are broken off and stuck inside the obd-II port?

or is there an alternate obd-II port that i can use?

word of advice: don't ever buy the scanning tool that is on sale at advanced auto parts for $25 :facepalm:
Not ever having seen this, I'm just throwing guesses at it...

Assuming the pin itself is hollow...

Maybe start with a really, really tiny screw into the hollow pin...and if you need to hold the pin firm to get the screw 'locked' in enough, then just some really fine screwdriver. Hold the pin, turn the screw just enough to catch...and then keep turning screw in same direction while pulling it out really slowly.

You might also remove trim panel it's mounted in and loosen the wires, so you don't have to work upside down and find someone to hold it while you do your work.

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
take the time to remove the driver's dash under-cover first. it's a few screws and a couple fasteners, then it pulls out toward you. then you can remove the OBD port from it to pull the pins out and keep your sanity. also, you will be able to access the back of the plug to possibly "push" the pins out from the back.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow - sorry to hear about that.

Judging from the photo in your signature, you have a facelifted car, which tells me the OBDII port is the only link to the diagnostic system. Older E46s also have the round port in the engine bay for BMW diagnostics.

If you are able to extract the broken pins from the port (I'd suggest patiently attacking the job with the smallest needle nose pliers you can find - and some ibuprofen for your back!), PLEASE consider using a Peake tool for diagnostics. They are made for BMWs only, meaning they ignore the often misleading OBDII codes written by the government for emissions monitoring. In addition to being appropriately designed and programmed for YOUR car, they are extremely high quality tools.

We carry the full line of Peake products at low prices and include free priority shipping for domestic orders.

Have a look at the article in my signature titled "Is your check engine light on?" for more information about the tools.

Best of luck with the pin extraction!

Ken
yeah i definitely will not be using these cheap scanner tools again. never again....

Not ever having seen this, I'm just throwing guesses at it...

Assuming the pin itself is hollow...

Maybe start with a really, really tiny screw into the hollow pin...and if you need to hold the pin firm to get the screw 'locked' in enough, then just some really fine screwdriver. Hold the pin, turn the screw just enough to catch...and then keep turning screw in same direction while pulling it out really slowly.

You might also remove trim panel it's mounted in and loosen the wires, so you don't have to work upside down and find someone to hold it while you do your work.

HTH

Doug
unfortunately the pin isn't hallow..i'm going to go look around today to try to find some ultra-fine needle nose pliers. hopefully that will do the trick.

thanks for the advice :thumbup:

take the time to remove the driver's dash under-cover first. it's a few screws and a couple fasteners, then it pulls out toward you. then you can remove the OBD port from it to pull the pins out and keep your sanity. also, you will be able to access the back of the plug to possibly "push" the pins out from the back.
thanks for the tip :) is it possible to buy a whole new obd-ii port, assuming i can't extract the pins from this one? any idea what the part # is for it?

thanks a lot everyone, the help is appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts