E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Auto ZOne and the guy recommended the actron OBD2 CP9125. Does anyone know if this will work on my 2004 BMW 330ci? Autozone says it wont return if the package is open. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It will give you the ODBII codes - it will not deal with BMW proprietary codes. As such - it will not reset ABS and airbag lights. I picked up the Actron 9575 this last weekend.

Peake tool will pull BMW specific codes but it only works with BMWs.

Do a search of the forum - there has been a lot of discussion and there is one person that as of a couple weeks ago were looking to sell their lightly used Peake tool because they liked the OBDII scanners better.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, the reason I need this is for a check engine light. Will this scanner give me codes for a Vacuum leak, fuel, etc? I just need to know cause my car was ideling rough and then shut off on me yesterday. now is running fine and NO check engine light. Idel is still sketchy in the morning. I did some research on [email protected] but didn't get a direct answer.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
well, the reason I need this is for a check engine light. Will this scanner give me codes for a Vacuum leak, fuel, etc? I just need to know cause my car was ideling rough and then shut off on me yesterday. now is running fine and NO check engine light. Idel is still sketchy in the morning. I did some research on [email protected] but didn't get a direct answer.
Yes it should and the person at AutoZone should be able to pull the codes for free as well. With no SES light - there might not be any codes which I would more strongly suggest getting anything read for free. P0171, 0173, and 0174 seem to relate to possible vacuum leaks.

Symptoms can be clogged\broken CCV in the early stages. If you suspect vacuum leak then visually check the upper and lower intake boot - especially the branch that goes to the ICV.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill inspect. So the OBD 2 wont give me any codes unless the SES light is on- got it. Ill get the intake boot asap. Oh and is thier any tricks on finding any vacuum leaks? i have a cold air too so I'll check the connections.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You can use a mirror and light to look at the boots without taking them out. You can squeeze the boots as well and if the engine changes or cuts out then there is a likely leak. A smoke test can be done - you just need something to create smoke and start the car and see if smoke gets sucked in where it should not. Also check the area around the DISA to see if the DISA o-ring is bad. Check to see if the DISA is clicking as well - start the car and listen to the DISA. You can also unhook the DISA sensor to see if the engine changes how it runs..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts