BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noobish question, but I don't really know about the electrics of my car.
I am looking to read a code that has to do with my airbag light, but Where do I read it from?
Under the hood, or Under the dash?
And is the connection under my dash an OBD 1 or OBD 2 connection?
Thanks!!:bow:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Noobish question, but I don't really know about the electrics of my car.
I am looking to read a code that has to do with my airbag light, but Where do I read it from?
Under the hood, or Under the dash?
And is the connection under my dash an OBD 1 or OBD 2 connection?
Thanks!!:bow:
The connector under the dash is a OBD2 standard plug. OBDI standards left manufacturers to design their own plug Hence BMW's round plug design. The plug is still there on early e46's

OBD standards are really only subsets of code's that will trigger a SES light.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, now can I read an airbag code from it?
I really don't want to pay $90 for sombody else to do it.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
In the US, all cars MY1996 and newer are OBDII. Most people refer to pre-1996 cars as "OBDI" - in reality OBDI was a poorly designed program to enforce emissions testing that was never adopted due to some serious flaws (namely no common standard to follow, so data from different makes did not correspond to anything specific)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
On a 1999 328 the OBDII connector under the dash only has engine/emissions data available. The 20 pin round connector under the hood must be used for all other systems, ie A/C air bag, DSC etc.

You should have the MS42 ECM, see page 13 of this document for more info on the data available through each connector:
http://www.beisansystems.com/misc/SEIMENS_MS_420_ENGINE_CONTROL_SYSTEM.pdf

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
OBDII protocol covers engine and transmission only. Access to any other module (like airbag) require's proprietary hardware and software. The OBDII protocol allows manufacturers to implement other access protocols through the OBDII socket, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything that is reserved by the standard.

So no, an OBDII scanner will not let you read/clear airbag codes. You will need something like the Peake airbag tool or the official BMW software to access the module.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
I think he meant "asp", as in naturally, as in naturally aspirated, as in, non forced inducted, as in not turbocharged nor supercharged, as in what my engine is.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I think he meant "asp", as in naturally, as in naturally aspirated, as in, non forced inducted, as in not turbocharged nor supercharged, as in what my engine is.
I just like the LSD in the US e36 M over the non-m e46's.

A EURO e36 S52B32 would be the holy grail for me.

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
Indeed, but that makes all the difference.

If my engine/tranny blows, an LS2 is on my list.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Lol....obdii

1 - 20 of 20 Posts