BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what winter tires are people from new york getting?
im not sure if i should go with hardcore snow tires or tires that are just good in snow.
help!
thanks Vid

·
Registered
222 Posts
My original tires were Contitouring's and they were absolutely horrible in the snow. I could barely drive anywhere. They would also slip and slide in the rain as well. In the dry they had crappy grip to boot. I can't understand for the life of me, how they are even considered all-seasons. Worst tires I have had on any car by FAR.

·
Registered
438 Posts
roller84 said:
My original tires were Contitouring's and they were absolutely horrible in the snow. I could barely drive anywhere. They would also slip and slide in the rain as well. In the dry they had crappy grip to boot. I can't understand for the life of me, how they are even considered all-seasons. Worst tires I have had on any car by FAR.
Tha's weird how we have such difference experiences with the same tires . . . I used them last year on my old winter wheels and they were excellent in the snow. They got me through last years snowy winter with confidence.

What type of condition were your tires in ? Mine were in like new condition, maybe this had something to do with it :dunno:

·
Registered
222 Posts
AF330i said:

Tha's weird how we have such difference experiences with the same tires . . . I used them last year on my old winter wheels and they were excellent in the snow. They got me through last years snowy winter with confidence.

What type of condition were your tires in ? Mine were in like new condition, maybe this had something to do with it :dunno:
I got the car with 500miles, therefore the tires were brand new. From day one I was having problems with traction. What was more disappointing was the wet performance. My ABS would frequently kick in to assist during braking as my tires would lose traction easily. Acceleration in the wet was problematic as well. During the winter I had a flat on the rear and it consiquently damaged the tire. At the time I probably had ~15,000 miles. As a result, I bought the Michelins as a replacement for the rears. I went from barely being able to go up a snow covered street w/ a 5 degree incline to plowing through the snow. Also, one thing to add was that my DSC was disabled due to letting my battery die once too many times when I had just purchased the car. I just never got around to fixing it until a few weeks ago. Perhaps, the DSC is more responsible for keeping you steady on the road rather than the tires:dunno: . I have since purchased another 2 tires and now have a full set of michelins. Strangely, I can say that I am almost looking foward to seeing how my car will do with the Michelins AND the DSC.

·
Registered
854 Posts
those tires are crappy... i've had them... and gotten new ones... for the life of my car.

never had anything else cuz i didn't want to replace all at once. So for the past 65k miles i've been slipping and sliding in the wet, in the dry and ESPECIALLY in the snow

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,654 Posts
Staszek said:
If you have the money get the hardcore snow tires and a second set of rims. Right now I am running just all seasons, I have the Continental Conti Extremes
have you driven in the snow w/ your ContiExtremes? if so, how were they? thanks:thumbup:

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
well i live in bklyn and i have on my m3

lm22 they are great in the snow and ice. i feel like i am in a 4x4
with them on my car. and i have 4 of them all around.
best winter mod. you can get if you want to drive in the snow and ice.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just got 16" Dunlop Wintersport M3's on AT Italia Type 5's (the only 16" rim known to fit over the calipers of a 330i). Just under $1K for the set from TireRack.

·
Registered
438 Posts
roller84 said:

I got the car with 500miles, therefore the tires were brand new. From day one I was having problems with traction. What was more disappointing was the wet performance. My ABS would frequently kick in to assist during braking as my tires would lose traction easily. Acceleration in the wet was problematic as well. During the winter I had a flat on the rear and it consiquently damaged the tire. At the time I probably had ~15,000 miles. As a result, I bought the Michelins as a replacement for the rears. I went from barely being able to go up a snow covered street w/ a 5 degree incline to plowing through the snow. Also, one thing to add was that my DSC was disabled due to letting my battery die once too many times when I had just purchased the car. I just never got around to fixing it until a few weeks ago. Perhaps, the DSC is more responsible for keeping you steady on the road rather than the tires:dunno: . I have since purchased another 2 tires and now have a full set of michelins. Strangely, I can say that I am almost looking foward to seeing how my car will do with the Michelins AND the DSC.

Wow . . .you got through last winter without any DSC or traction control :yikes:

Our cars need it desperately !!!! You are going to be very happy this year when snow hits . . . the DSC & Traction control are key here !! I can understand why you weren't happy with those tires.

Just to clarify. as a summer tire I would never want them but as a winter tire I found them to be very good since they got me through snow.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xmas63 said:
I just got 16" Dunlop Wintersport M3's on AT Italia Type 5's (the only 16" rim known to fit over the calipers of a 330i). Just under $1K for the set from TireRack.

what size are your tires?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats pretty thin i checked them out on tirerack .. that was what they were offering... anyone thing 205'S are too narrow?

·
Registered
222 Posts
AF330i said:

Wow . . .you got through last winter without any DSC or traction control :yikes:

Our cars need it desperately !!!! You are going to be very happy this year when snow hits . . . the DSC & Traction control are key here !! I can understand why you weren't happy with those tires.

Just to clarify. as a summer tire I would never want them but as a winter tire I found them to be very good since they got me through snow.
I sort of procrastinated on purpose in not getting my DSC fixed. I drove without it for a little more than a year. I went through all types of weather. I think I was able to learn a good deal about the way the CAR drives. I was able to get a good idea of the limits of the car in the wet and dry. During the spring I am planning on going to driving school to REALLY learn the limits of the car. More importantly, how to regain control of the car in all situations in which traction is lost.

·
Registered
438 Posts
roller84 said:

I sort of procrastinated on purpose in not getting my DSC fixed. I drove without it for a little more than a year. I went through all types of weather. I think I was able to learn a good deal about the way the CAR drives. I was able to get a good idea of the limits of the car in the wet and dry. During the spring I am planning on going to driving school to REALLY learn the limits of the car. More importantly, how to regain control of the car in all situations in which traction is lost.

Going to a driver's school is an excellent idea . . . I took a class through the NY BMWCCA Chapter . . . it was very cheap and I really got to take my car through the paces . . . the class was given at Nassau Colliseum, check out the picture below of me flying in the rain !!!

Also if you want to spend a few more $$$, I took a Skip barber class that ran me about $1100 for a 2 day course, it was incredible and it's given at the Limerock racetrack in Ct.

If you want some websites on it, email me and I'll send you a few.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts