BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to lower my coilovers a little today, finished one side and started on the other. The spring perch was like seized so I hit it with PB Blaster and heat... no-go so I figured I'd just pull my coilover off and stick it in a bench vise to get the perch loose.

Long story (4 hours later) short the coilover is literally seized into the front suspension upright. I've tried pb blaster, torch, parafin wax, ratchet strap pulling the upright down while jacking up a rod to push the coilover out from the bottom, etc. Yes, I removed the pinch bolt. :rofl:

Anyone have any other ideas on how to get this thing out? I swear, everything my PO ever touched is seized beyond belief, it's causing me so much grief I want to burn the car down. :ben::ben::ben:

Add this to the list of wheel locks requiring crazy antics to remove, AC compressor line bolt being seized and requiring a grinder + the compressor to be dropped, etc.

·
Registered
521 Posts
did you try a prybar to pry the upright apart, i had to do that on a buddies car wen we were changing out his suspension.

pry and twist.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I even used the BMW tool for it. :(

·
Banned
6,558 Posts
take it to a shop to have it done. If they break it, it's their fault.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's kinda hard to pull something like that when it's obviously been messed with recently.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day krew bump

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics of a strut being stuck in the upright? :rofl: But really, I tried to take some last night and my camera won't fit in there.. I only have a Nikon DSLR, no point and shoot.

·
Registered
521 Posts
try a pry bar i don't know what bmw specific tool you used but i know a prybar will work. if it doesn't then spray some bp blaster down, and get an 8lb sledge hammer, and give it a good "wack" you might need the sudden impact of the metal on metal... kind of like a stuck control arm....

I learned a while ago, if you need it apart and it doesn't want to come apart, get a BIG hammer, so you only have to hit it a few times, to minimize damage.

just to make sure everyone is on the same page, your trying to get part 1 out of part 2 correct?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN53&mospid=47713&btnr=31_0518&hg=31&fg=10

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct, but the xi is different - the strut doesn't extend below the upright so you can't really go at it from the bottom. Either way, I gave up, put it back together, and ordered a new spring collar. I'm going to cut the old spring collar off very carefully and replace it with the strut still in the car (top down).

·
Registered
521 Posts
i was saying to hit the top of the upright, to force the upright down, to get the shock to separate from it that way...... sorry i wasn't specific.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I took a 5lb sledge to it, a torch, ratchet strap pulling down, while jacking up the strut from below... all at the same time. It's stuck for life.

·
Registered
521 Posts
did you have the car on jack stand? thats the way to do it.

Kubica is right, if you had the jack under the knuckle... It doesn't seem like you would have had the jack there, but one never knows....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The xi gods are obviously mad at you.

That's your problem right there. How is the knuckle supposed to drop if it's supported by a jack?
Obviously they are :rofl:. I didn't mean the knuckle, I mean I jigged up two mirrored pieces of metal to go around the CV and into the bottom of the strut, then I jacked it up from below.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
H&R. I ordered a new spring perch for $22.50 and I'm going to take the thing apart top down, then carefully grind the old perch off and put the new one on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts