BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Law Enforcer
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because of the recent post about the 330ci vs S2000, I had to go find out for myself. So today after work, I drove to the Auto Center part of my town, and took to driving a few cars. I first drove the 2003 Cobra. Now, this is a brute beast. Interior fit and finish still leaves much to be desired, but the motor is sheer power, and I respect it for that. The blower whine induces quite a sensation as well. After I was finished thunderballing around town in the Cobra, I headed over to Riverside Acura in which they had a used S2000 on the lot with about 27k on the odometer, so I proceed to test drive this car. Now, don't get me wrong, this is an excellent 4 cylinder, but my God, a 330ci (manual) would own this car. The car feels like it's lacking something (maybe torque???) in the power dept. It doesn't even pull very hard (IMHO) to redline. The shifter is botchy, and the stiffness (although it may prove useful at the track), is a little bit too stiff. I ran this car hard, powershifting and all, and I still feel that the 330ci is faster. Maybe it's the midrange, or maybe it's just the overall feel of the car, but it wasn't impressive at all. I actually enjoyed the unrefined "newfound refinement" (is that an oxymoron?? :D heehee) of the new Cobra over the S2000. I now know, after jumping out of my M3, into two other brands, and back into my M3, why BMW cars have the respect that they have. The feeling is sheer orgasmal. (well at least for me it is...my mind is always in the gutter anyways.) Maybe I'm just restarting a tired subject, but I had to voice it. Thanks for listening, and goodnight... :)

·
Unregistered User
446 Posts
so is the m3's ride more 'plush' than than the s2k's? i thought it was about right when i test drove one.

i took it to 9000 rpms on a long straight freeway onramp and the high end pull just wasn't there. i drive a 2000 civic si so i knew not to expect any action below 6000 rpm, but even above 6000 the pull just wasn't there...

·
Law Enforcer
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matthew: yeah, the M3's ride is almost 100% more plush than the S2000, but not "Mercedes soft" plush. The shifter in the M3 feels better, the power delivery is better, etc etc. This goes the same for the 330ci too. The 330ci feels so much better than an S2k. My next mission is to test drive a Z4.

·
Registered
644 Posts
M3!!

·
Addicted to Autocross
1,280 Posts
330Ci Is Slower Than s2000

s2000's lack torque yes, which is why you have to keep the RPMs high. Its power kicks in when in VTEC, which is over 6000RPMs. Without the proper launch, an s2000 can actually take close to 10 seconds to get to 60. Dump the clutch correctly at 6-7000RPMs and it'll take 5.5 seconds or better (as low as 5.2 in Car & Driver).

A manual 330Ci vs. a manual s2000 = no match. Its a different car mind you...we're talking about a 2-seat roadster that weighs close to 600 lbs. less. My friend's s2000 weighed in at 2700 or so, and mine was at 3300 or so. The 330Ci is much more functional and has more luxury for sure, but the s2000 in the hands of a good driver will "smoke" a 330Ci EVERY time, straight line OR through the twisties (stock vs stock).

Now, an ///M3 of course (once again in the hands of a good driver) will EASILY outdo an s2000 (straight-line) AND have the luxury and functionality to boot, albeit for $20,000 more.

Regardless, all 3 cars are excellent. Money aside, my choice would be ///M3 first by far, a 330Ci (I need the functionality) and then an s2000. It depends on your needs. I haven't driven an s2000, but I have ridden shotgun with guys at the track and it is an AMAZING car. I do LOVE my BMW though, and am planning to upgrade to an ///M3 in the future.

·
OO[][]OO
525 Posts
Sound's like you were lucky that there was not availible any Carrera at that time :lmao: :D

3C

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
M3!! ........

I know how honda's drive, most of them you just have to drive the h**l out of them to get them moving, I drove GSR's for 6 years!!?? Never knew what torque was all about even w/325!!

but i still respect them, S2000 is just a big v-tec with no toque but it must be fun in its own kind of way!!

Cobra, Just insane power, must definitely give the M3 a run for its money ,but only in a straight line.....!!

M3 = Sheer Overall Excitement!!

:thumbup:

·
Fanatics vs. E46 DTM 4evar
5,898 Posts
NYDawgs777 said:
yeh werd to shinobi, a 330ci would get burned by s2000
Not by much at all....Ive seen and heard of e36 M3's walking on S2000's. e36 M and a 330 have almost identical performance.

·
Law Enforcer
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really have to disagree w/ the S2000 smoking a 330ci. "Smoking" is a word left to huge interpretation. The S2000 I drove tonight wouldn't have smoked my bone stock 330ci, even w/ an 8000RPM redline. The feeling just wasn't there. My DOHCVtec hatch (despite the built head), had more of a VTEC pull than this S2000. I came from racing fast hondas, and I know how to drive them extremely well. I put this S2000 through the paces for 25 minutes. I wasn't fast to me at all! And believe me when I say I revved the hell out of it! Tried 5000, 6000 RPM launches. It just didn't illicit a smile on my face like my 330ci did, or my M3 does.

·
Unregistered User
446 Posts
BGReddy00 said:
my dad has a s2000...i hated it...the gears shift so hard...
:dunno: i love honda manual trannys. the s2000 has one of the best shifters of any car out there.. you literally shift with "just a flick of the wrist"

·
Law Enforcer
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't like the feeling of the shifter in the S2000. I like the throw in the TypeR better. ****, even the new Cobras shifter wasn't that bad, even though the throw is still a wee bit long, but hell, that car gives the feeling of a long drop on a roller coaster.

·
Unregistered User
446 Posts
well, the s2000's best times are low 14's by magazines with a 7000+ rpm clutch drop launch... most everyday somewhat decent drivers usually get mid-high 14's from what i've seen over the years.. (i hang out alot with honda owners, i drive one) and the 330ci manual's best magazine times are mid 14's (14.4 according to car and driver) but it's much easier for the average joe schmoe to come closer to that time than it is for him to drive the s2k to its best times.

with average drivers in both cars, they would be pretty close with a slight edge to the s2k. certainly it won't 'smoke' the 330ci (unless it's an auto of course)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts