BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
'02 E46 330ci SMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
What's your Edibas version? I had problems connected a second laptop with the Edibas I downloaded for it, getting similar errors. It was only when I realised I had an older version on my first laptop and copied the folder from that over that I got it to work.
OK so that at least means what I was doing would have actually worked, I'd the OBD port was functioning. So my MK60, GM5, & EWS systems aren't the modules causing the problem..

But thanks to your suggestion of googling specifically this forum, I did find this about someone saying they disconnected their 'steering angle sensor line', any idea wherw this "line" is? Seems like this is the next wire I need to unplug...

Attachments

·
Registered
'02 E46 330ci SMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Unplugged.. Still no connection to the OBD:
Screenshot_20200801_160837_com.iViNi.bmwhatLite.jpg Screenshot_20200801_160842_com.iViNi.bmwhatLite.jpg Screenshot_20200801_155426_com.iViNi.bmwhatLite.jpg

So now that means I've tried unplugging:
  • EWS
  • Body control module (GM5)
  • ABS module (MK60)
  • Steering angle sensor (x1658)

·
Registered
'02 E46 330ci SMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Also, whats this "Awaiting approval before being displayed publicly." - Is there anything I can do to speed up this approval process so I can hopefully get some more opinions on this.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,602 Posts
Also, whats this "Awaiting approval before being displayed publicly." - Is there anything I can do to speed up this approval process so I can hopefully get some more opinions on this.
New members have some posting limitations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As you can't communicate with any module, & the obd port is good I would check the cluster as it is the gateway between the d bus & other busses. Unfortunately you can not leave it disconnected, but a disconnecting & reconnecting may help.

·
Registered
'02 E46 330ci SMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
As you can't communicate with any module, & the obd port is good I would check the cluster as it is the gateway between the d bus & other busses. Unfortunately you can not leave it disconnected, but a disconnecting & reconnecting may help.
When you say this, do you mean simply the 2 screws holding the cluster in place, and then just unpluggin all(?) the plugs and then reconnecting them? Also why can't I leave it unplugged? Will it throw up a load of lights I wont be able to remove?

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remove the 2 screws to remove the cluster than disconnect the connectors on the back. With the cluster disconnected you will not have anything connected to the d bus. You could try a generic scan tool as they will communicate with the dme & egs on a different line with the cluster disconnected, I have never tried that to see if it would work.

·
Registered
'02 E46 330ci SMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Remove the 2 screws to remove the cluster than disconnect the connectors on the back. With the cluster disconnected you will not have anything connected to the d bus. You could try a generic scan tool as they will communicate with the dme & egs on a different line with the cluster disconnected, I have never tried that to see if it would work.
No luck unfortunately. I un- then re-plugged everything in and tried another scan.. no luck. I didn't try scan without the dashboard in as I'm afraid it's going to throw up an airbag light or something, for some reason.
IMG_20200801_190815.jpg

·
Registered
'02 E46 330ci SMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
As mentioned already, did you use a multimeter to check the power and ground pins on the OBD connector?
Cable-shack on Friday tested my OBD port using an OBD diagnostic tester which looked something like this, and came back all good:

But, I must admit I haven't done it personally. I don't own a multimeter but will get them tested when my brother gets back from holiday in a weeks time.

·
Registered
'02 E46 330ci SMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Get a cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight Tools.

Never too late to pick up a new skill. :)
It might sound a bit silly, but I've honestly spent so much money trying to fix this issue, I'm a little defeated right now. My bro has one of those and right now I'm just gonna have to sit it out and wait, whilst in the meantime seeing if there are any other modules I can disconnect.

·
Registered
'02 E46 330ci SMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It would seem you CAN run the car without the instrument cluster and get no lights:

So that will be today's job, to remove the cluster again and try re-scan the car.. Again.

·
Registered
'02 E46 330ci SMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I can confirm:
  1. Starting the car with the instrument cluster out will NOT bring up any lights (I didn't drive the car, just pos. 2 on the key).
  2. It didn't cure my OBD issue.

·
Registered
2003 325xi 5spd Manual
844 Posts
Does anyone know of any of the other major modules other than GM5, EWS, or ABS? I've tried unplugging all those then scanning the car, but still nothing.

Also, with all those unplugged, can I physically still start the car? As I only have th Carly app and that asks me to start the car, not the typical position 2, but I haven't done that yet.

Literally the only other problem on the car is the drivers seat electrics
If you do set off the light, im pretty sure carly can clear it.
I do not recommend anyone buy carly unless they have an E9x and newer car...Theres basically no value in the coding functions compared to an F chassis car. Overpriced.

·
Registered
'02 E46 330ci SMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you do set off the light, im pretty sure carly can clear it.
I do not recommend anyone buy carly unless they have an E9x and newer car...Theres basically no value in the coding functions compared to an F chassis car. Overpriced.
I was just nervous incase I set a light off and still didn't get the OBD port to work.

And doesn't the E46 have a load of options in Carly too? Either way, I have it now, but still need to find out wtf is stopping my OBD port from working.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It might be the DME itself causing noise on both the d-bus and the k-line. Reconnect the Instrument cluster and other modules you disconnected, disconnect the DME and then try connecting with Inpa not Carly.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts