E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, I have installed about 4 systems in cars over the last 3 years, this one isnt easy to do. like most of you I read the FAQ here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~pmbenn/stereo.htm

although it is accurate, it's not very descriptive in telling / showing where things are. first off, the manual states you should remove both sides of truck walls. i didnt need to remove the right side, just remove the floor cardboard piece and then the black plastic cover to access the battery.

next, the left side.. what a pain... there are 3-4 of those little rivets in there, i found my best luck was putting a flat blade screwdriver under it and twisting it, not lifting up. go around the rivet twisting it... some are hard, some are easy... for me the top rivet had to come out the hard way... pliers and cutters.. and its not getting back in unfortunately.

next the amp.. the amp is really really wedged in there... its standing up vertically all the way to left and down low. the plug is on the top and has a weird little button you have to press and then rotate a bar down that kinda holds it in there and pops it out when you push it down..

there is very little slack in the plug, and the wires that the manual just says "tap these wires" are tightly wound underneath alot of black cloth/sticky tape and are basically impossible to tap as is. I tried for a while to see if i could pull the plug out of the outer plastic housing of the plug but i couldnt... at this point i was starting to wonder why i was doing this to my 3 day old car...

finally, i came to the realization that you cant (you just cant) tap the wires as they sat unless maybe you were to cut around them slightly, pull back the housing and wrap another around there, but that wouldnt be a very good tap.. and forget about using those little plastic tap-in things where u press down on the metal tab that presses both together without cutting the wires.... which is what i did (man was i nervous)

ok.. so i follwed the color wires the manual mentioned... blue/red and orange/brown were left i believe, and yellow/red and orange/brown... they were there pair-wrapped tightly like the manual said... so first thing i did was cut the pairs, straighten them out and strip off the ends... to ease the installation, i cut about 4" of wire and twisted, crimped and taped them to give me a loop of wire to work with for each wire. I did this to all 4 wires, and then taped up the loose parts back to the wire loom.

then, using the little tap-in things i tapped in another 4" of wire to the extension pieces. the end result was 4 bare wires that were now equal to left +/- and right +/- , these were the wires that I fed into the Ven2 (which is pretty crappy if u ask me, no instructions or wire color codes) I got it at a stereo store for $29

Then, i scratched off some paint from one of the bolts and grounded it.

Next the manual says find the "unpaired thin white wire" for remote power... problem is there are like 3 of them that match that description. so i have to go buy a testing like and figure out which one he meant...

i really should have taken pictures because like me im sure many of you guys are gonna rip apart your trunks expecting to find a nice amp with a sign that says "tap me" unfortunately its alot harder than that =( Luckily I havent messed anything up that I know of... after I extended all the wires and tapped them into the Ven2, I turned on the stereo and check each corner individually (frontleft/frontright/rearleft/rearright) all sounded good.

then I jerry rigged up my amp to the battery wires i put in and connected it... turned on right away and started to get some bass... but i will need to put it all back together tomorrow, run the remote bass knob, install the inline fuse block, and then put the trunk back together (dealing with that carpet wall is going to be a pain)

That's about where I stand right now..

i hope this helps somebody at all, it was very surprising to see how much harder and out of the way this stuff was than I expected.

if you have any other questions feel free to email me

·
Registered
352 Posts
a/d/s has the color codes for the amp. thats what im using to do the install. i have just started to do it and i haven't got the nerve yet to just cut off the plug. i tryied to get an old amp and get the female plug out of it but when i took apart my stock amp the plug just goes to a circuit board so it isn't realy going to help. i guess ill try and pull back the black tape and use those tap-in things cause thats what i used with my basslink and that seemed to work pretty well. i hate to say it but i got the line converter from a friend who works at circuit city. its not the ven2 but it is adjustable and i paid $6.29 each. i got two of them. i went to another audio store an tthey had a 4 line converter and it was $70. haha i guess i made out pretty good. o and i got a monster cable wireing kit which was like $80 for like $29.75 i think. it helps to have friends in high places

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, just to let you know, there are simple line out converters that are cheaper, like yea < $10.. but from what I understand you need a "balanced line out converter" which is different, like the Ven2... it has a ground wire (not saying yours doesn't) but again that's just what I understand. I have a friend who owns an online stereo store too he has LOCs for cheap but he told me to be safe and get the Ven2. I called Kicker (thats my amp maker) and they recommended either the Ven2 or another one by "SoundGate" specifically by name for a BMW HK install.

hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts