BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 325i stick and I am starting to trip out on the gearbox. It seems to be notchy at certain RPM's ex.. You can feel a few little notches or resistance of it going into gear., It is not always smooth allthe way in gear. It sometimes feels like it has 3 little notches on the way in gear. Not alot of resistance but it is there. Is this normal? Anyone else feel this. Anyone got a stick in SF I could try to compare?

thanks
Carlos

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have this same feeling on my car,, it's been happening for so long that i'm used to it now. Try letting the rpm's drop a little bit before you shift, seems to smoothen it out for me.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Mine is the same way. I thought maybe it is because of my clutch stop. Maybe I'll take it off and see if it smooths out.

I was thinking about going to the dealer and driving one to compare it to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
mine is EXACTLY THE SAME I HATE IT lol thas why I'm geting a UUC SSK hopefully it will fix it...can anyone confirm that a shirt shifter will fix this problem? mabye...

·
Registered
73 Posts
same problem here, its really been pissing me off latley too. One time at a light i couldnt even get into first gear. i had to shift to second then back to first and it still wouldnt go, then i tried 3rd to first and it finally went into gear.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had similar problems you all mention above and discussed these in a couple of threads about a month ago. Most likely if you take it into the dealer, they will say that a "notchy" shifter is normal, but if you have problems getting the shifter into gear or hear a grinding when shifting, that is NOT normal and the dealer should fix it. I had an extremely notchy and inconsistent shift into 2nd gear and it locked me out at times and made a grinding noise at times. I took it in and after the dealer told me it was normal over the phone, I drove the car with them and they agreed there was a problem and bolted on a remanufactured transmission. When the tranny is cold, the shift is still very notchy and doesn't always want to go all the way into gear. However, when the car's warm, the tranny is MUCH smoother. Not sure what component went bad, but they don't open up trannys at dealerships---they did tell me that they found quite a few metal shavings when they drained the fluid out. PM me if I can help further.

·
Registered
319 Posts
BTW - People on this board have said that changing the tranny fluid to Redline D4 Synthetic ATF helps smooth out some of the notchiness, especially in cold weather...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for feedback. I will definetely be changing out to Tranny Fluid to D4 ATF Redline, regardless of notchyness. I also will never be able to shift at low RPM's. I havent done it since I was 14 and I'm not going to change the way I drive now. I will probably go by BMWSF in the next couple weeks and will tell you what happened. DOES ANYONE IN BAY AREA HAVE THIS PROBLEM? Maybe I will just test drive a BMW at the dealer.

thanks

Carlos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts