E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before all the community shoot me down in flames I have searched and I can only see oil leaks relating to the oil filters and the housing/ gaskets or the sump plug gasket. Mine is non of the above mentioned. :eek:

I did a 400mile drive a few days ago and when I pulled back on the drive and switched the engine off I noticed a small plume of smoke come out of the grills. So I lifted the bonnet/hood and I dont know if it was a small constant leak over the uber long trip or if something exploded but there was oil burning on the exhaust pipes and engine block.

As you look at the N42 engine, all down the left hand side there are oil splatter marks. To the right hand side of the Windscreen fluid bottle, there is a breather pipe I think and it is covered in oil. Also around the oil filler cap but this is secure and always has been as I thought this was the reason initially but I have jet washed the engine the splatter marks have reappeared.

Also my arch liner has cracked and oil marks are inside the wheel arch. In the morning I am going to remove all the plastic covers on top of the engine and de-grease everything and see where the leak is coming from.

Are there any seals around the crank which are commonly known for corroding,this car has only done 31,000miles so its been treated like a baby since it left the showroom floor.. My thoughts with the crank is the oil mark looks like they are being splattered by something rotating clockwise. There is no oil on the belts though...!

I would very much appreciate any inputs you may have as to what it can be or if anybody else has had similar issues.

I will upload pictures with the covers off tomorrow.

Chris

·
Registered
55 Posts
Chris,

I would say that it is either the profile gasket (number 2 in pic)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AY72&mospid=47632&btnr=11_3179&hg=11&fg=15

or it could be the vacuum pump or the o-ring (or both ) (2/3 in the pic below)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AY72&mospid=47632&btnr=11_3178&hg=11&fg=15

these n42 engines seem to leak in every possible place mine so far:

solenoid o-rings
sump gasket
Valve cover gasket
Vacuum Pump
oil filler cap

Rather dissapointing, my previous car a 13 year old astra had none

·
Registered
27 Posts
my n42 leaks oil everywhere and i've changed everything
vacuum pump, gasket profile.. solenoid valves... everything!

and it eats up 1lt of oil every 1000 km!!

and I dont know what to do anymore :(

damn N42, dont buy it, if you dont know it :banghead:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've never put wrong oil in my N42, and specifically I've always used the one for valvetronic engines (N42, N46...) ---> Castrol LL01 FE! not even the standard LL01, or worse... the LL04 (which bmw themselves put! wrongly)

and anyway even if you put the most wrong and dirtiest oil you can never reach a level of 1 lt. / 1000km... I really dont think so!

N42 is so damn delicate and full of problems... and I red about its problems everywhere, not just here.
I regret the day I bought this car and engine, bad me.

more you treat well the car... more you're gonna face problems :( :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My issue only turned out to be the seal on the oil filler cap..The dripping oil was going on to the aux belt causing it to get flicked all over the engine bay, bonnet, wheel arches, tyres and inside of the alloys..!

All in all (touch wood) the N42 has been a trouble free engine!! Its been the rest of the car thats let the badge down, faulty battery, leaking fuel tank, snapped springs, faulty outdoor temp sensor and window regulator..!Within the first 6months :tsk:

I wouldnt feel an e46 owner if I didnt know how to do the window regulators though and Im sure plenty of people on here will back me up too :craig:

·
Registered
55 Posts
The N42 engine is a P.O.S of note.

Mine is also using about 1 litre per 1000kms. I have spoken to numerous ex BMW mechanics and all agree that these engines are extremely trouble-some.

Just google "e46 n42 oil consumption" its not a pretty picture

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.