BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been recently experiencing more and more problems with my car, but i guess thats the norm. with any car over 100k (mines 113k) For Several months I have been getting Lean codes bank 1 and 2. and never figure it out. I have changed the 2-part intake boot, swapped out MAF sensor, replaced any vac line that looked questionable, replaced CCV. hooked up my EOBDII and the pre-cat sensors are getting the right voltage, MAF is reading correct. My lean codes still persist! now its getting worse. After I replaced the original CCV (that looked fine, no oil residue or anything) pulled the spark plugs, some had oil build up, so I replaced them with NGK (and gaped them) I was still getting blue smoke and consuming a quart of oil (5w-30) every 500 miles! I thought it had to do with the new $hity plastic CCV I put in, so I made a catch-can and installed it (Crank case inlet and intake for outlet, plugged the hose (to the dipstick) fired the car up, ran very very rough, almost sounded like a LS1 :ben: and I could here a knock, and clang (metal sounding) shut off the motor.then I disconnected the intake tube (from the catch-can) then plugged it. hooked up the original drain tube (from the dipstick) and ran slightly better. Now I have p1350, p1342 in addition to my lean codes (p0174, p0171) :ben:

Any help/advice Please, chime in!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been using supertech 5w-30 full synthetic. I have been using that stuff for years with no problems, change every 3k.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have been using supertech 5w-30 full synthetic. I have been using that stuff for years with no problems, change every 3k.
I hate to be an a$$hole to you while you are going through this, but to say that you've been using this oil for years with "no problems" while posting about blue smoke coming out of your exhaust is a bit ironic don't you think.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Blue smoke out the exhaust is a blown head gasket.
DO a compression test before you change any more parts, but in the mean time switch to a higher weight oil to see if it helps. You're in Socal so no worry about winterizing, go for 10w40 or 10w30 castrol for the mean time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Blue smoke out the exhaust is a blown head gasket.
DO a compression test before you change any more parts, but in the mean time switch to a higher weight oil to see if it helps. You're in Socal so no worry about winterizing, go for 10w40 or 10w30 castrol for the mean time.
Not always, damaged piston rings will cause blow-by, in fact, this is far more common than the gasket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hate to be an a$$hole to you while you are going through this, but to say that you've been using this oil for years with "no problems" while posting about blue smoke coming out of your exhaust is a bit ironic don't you think.
So why don't you use your intelligence and tell the forum why this oil will contribute to oil use in an engine??

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Not always, damaged piston rings will cause blow-by, in fact, this is far more common than the gasket.
That is true.

But just to add to this, its alot easier to change head gasket then piston rings.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Either way, the VERY 1st thing the OP should do is drain that olive oil out of the car and pour the most vicious LL-01 oil and see what happens next.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whatta a hell are you talking about... is it still too hot in alabama?
Just wanting to know why you say the name brand/viscosity of oil makes it smoke?
The air filter has as much to do with oil smoke as the oil does. The oil lubricates. Changing oil will not solve the problem. Diagnosing an engine smoking because of oil name brand/viscosity just ain't right.

It's 50 degrees in Alabama.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just wanting to know why you say the name brand/viscosity of oil makes it smoke?
The air filter has as much to do with oil smoke as the oil does. The oil lubricates. Changing oil will not solve the problem. Diagnosing an engine smoking because of oil name brand/viscosity just ain't right.

Thanks on the weather report :hi:

ok... 1st off, I think you mis-understood me. My initial comment had to do with the fact that the poster says he has a problem, and then says I've been using oil X with "no problems"... which is a bit funny... tell me you see humor in that, PLEASE...

Secondly, oil CAN have impact on oil consumption if it's too thin. I don't know if this particular oil was/is the culprit but I think switching to one of a thicker one that is in fact LL-01 approved can take one parameter out of equation. If you search you'll see that oil discussions are a borderline suicidal thing on message boards... much like discussing religion so I don't want to get back on that horse.

edit: I am not suggesting that the sole problem at hand here is the wrong choice of oil.... in fact, yes, it might have nothing to do with that.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts

He's referring to the fact that 5w-30 Mobil 1 isn't the same viscosity as 5w-30 Castrol BMW Oil. Too thin of an oil will be picked up more by the CCV and get past the piston rings and valve stem seals faster than a thicker viscosity. However, this would happen gradually, not over a short period of time as it seems.

Also, blue smoke out the tail pipe does not indicate a blown headgasket. White, thick smoke (not moisture) indicated coolant in the combustion chamber.

P.S. Where are you in Alabama that it's 50 degrees? It's like 70 here. :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
He's referring to the fact that 5w-30 Mobil 1 isn't the same viscosity as 5w-30 Castrol BMW Oil. Too thin of an oil will be picked up more by the CCV and get past the piston rings and valve stem seals faster than a thicker viscosity. However, this would happen gradually, not over a short period of time as it seems.

Also, blue smoke out the tail pipe does not indicate a blown headgasket. White, thick smoke (not moisture) indicated coolant in the combustion chamber.

P.S. Where are you in Alabama that it's 50 degrees? It's like 70 here. :p
Madison. It's supposed to get 70 I think.

My point..... Wear is the issue. Not the oil. It can be hid by going to a higher viscosity oil.
This forum worries too much about oil.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Madison. It's supposed to get 70 I think.

My point..... Wear is the issue. Not the oil. It can be hid by going to a higher viscosity oil.
This forum worries too much about oil.
So in another words, what you are saying, wear has nothing to do with oil of choice? Sorry dude, I can't say I agree with you at all.

I do however agree with you that this forum does worry about oil too much.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is correct. Most likely your headgasket is fine.

Your blue smoke is probably coming from worn valve seals. I'm relatively new to the e46 world, but this was a common problem/maintenance item on my older BMW's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So in another words, what you are saying, wear has nothing to do with oil of choice? Sorry dude, I can't say I agree with you at all.

I do however agree with you that this forum does worry about oil too much.
Lack of oil of choice, yes.

What is your experience in automotive mechanics or oil properties... not trying to pick on you but you could be the forum expert on block metals and oil properties. OR you could be another person repeating what he heard.

Which is it?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
As far as wear that is caused by oil type is concerned, you are maximizing the potential. Isn't supertech the wal-mart brand?

First thing i would do is switch to an LL-01, such as Mobil 1 0w-40, Castrol Syntec 0w-30, or BMW dealer oil, and see if that makes any difference at all. Whether it does or not, your engine will be much happier with a correct spec oil, instead of that vegetable oil you've been using.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts