BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've been scouring the web for a reputable indy shop in the Northeast US (or Ontario, CAN) that offers SMG-to-6spd manual swap service. I own a 2003 M3 coupe with 105k and am experiencing the common issues associated with smg pump failure. I know of a couple of shops in NC and CA but would prefer not to ship my car. For reference I am in the Buffalo, NY area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wile motorsports in Walpole MA did
Mine last year . Excellent work great price and Incredible customer service . Give
Them a Call .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Give Randy a call at eleven10ths racecraft in Toronto. Your greenbacks will go further here, he does these conversions all the time and is ready to go with mine as soon as it arrives.

(416) 578-8040

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies and referrals. I've reached out to every shop you recommended.

For the 2nd time in as many weeks, My M3 dropped out of gear at a traffic light today, I'm done with this nonsense.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can any of you give a rough estimate on what the conversion costs? My SMG works fine currently (fingers crossed for a while hopefully), but from scouring the web, it almost seems as though the price to fix a broken SMG is about the same to convert, and im just curious if there is any truth to that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
From what I’ve gathered, it’s about right.

Fix OEM, and modified swap. You need to ensure the shop you choose know what they’re getting into. There is a pile of programming and electrical to do from what I’ve gathered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive got enthusiast Auto Group minutes from my house....would likely be my first choice given their knowledge of the e46 platform. although if their service prices are anything like their car prices i could never afford it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive got enthusiast Auto Group minutes from my house....would likely be my first choice given their knowledge of the e46 platform. although if their service prices are anything like their car prices i could never afford it!
I reached out to EAG in December and at the time they said it's not a project they are going to take on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can any of you give a rough estimate on what the conversion costs? My SMG works fine currently (fingers crossed for a while hopefully), but from scouring the web, it almost seems as though the price to fix a broken SMG is about the same to convert, and im just curious if there is any truth to that.
I've reached out to about 5 shops and quotes range from 4000 to 6400 for parts/labor/coding. That's if nothing else needs to be repaired/replaced along the way (Clutch, flywheel, bushings etc.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, thats good to know. Im surprised enthusiast wont take it on with everything else they do with the E46 platform. Guess that means MWorksGarage here in Cincy would be my next place to reach out to. Sadly the big open house they are having is exactly when ill be out of town. Thank you for the info marine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am in the process of doing mine now... trans is out and will be machined this weekend. Reassembly shortly after. I am doing the machine work and have access to a good mill.
For the bellhousing, I needed to buy a few items for the work... 18mm drill and collet and a couple taps. $125
I ordered most of the parts from getbmwparts for $850, a few from Rockauto $430 (Sachs clutch kit was $285 there...) and ECS Tuning for a few at $175 (motor mounts are in this order). Bought an Autosolutions shifter assembly for $540 (the OEM stuff would be half that).
So, for my swap, minus the motor mounts the total is $2012.
The work is not that bad... much like a clutch replacement. Removing all the SMG stuff was a little bit of a pita, only due to having to pull the intake and remove all the other hardware.

Probably could have saved a few $$ by not doing the clutch... the car only has 55k on it. But hey, the trans is out and at $285 why not. And I wanted the Autosolutions shifter... heard too many good things about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Matt Coyne and Jim Kassel do awesome work! Well worth the trip! They specialize in our cars, and have done MANY of these swaps. Might be a good time to knock out some other items while you're there. Rod bearings, steering rack swap (ZCP etc), vanos, valve adjustments, inspections etc...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello all, I've been scouring the web for a reputable indy shop in the Northeast US (or Ontario, CAN) that offers SMG-to-6spd manual swap service. I own a 2003 M3 coupe with 105k and am experiencing the common issues associated with smg pump failure. I know of a couple of shops in NC and CA but would prefer not to ship my car. For reference I am in the Buffalo, NY area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
I would suggest you investigate additional insurance rider for what is likely to be a poor investment. I’ve added about $5K coverage at a small additional cost to my E46 M3 convertible‘s Dinan bits....basically a $5K plus up to car value in case of accident/total. I would have added more but that’s basically the Dinan original cost, not replacement cost. When and if the car is totaled, I’ll have the replacement vs original cost discussion with my insurance company.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts