BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice this every time now as I turn off the engine and walk around the back of the car and the rear diff makes this click sound. :dunno:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear diff fluid hasn't been changed since I owned it in early '09. Didn't know there was an exhaust flap near the rear that closes up . . Almost sounds like a spring and click sound . . like an actual spring closing type of mechanism. I checked the ATF today and it's quite dark brown. Auto of course. I assume the front diff shares the same fluid reservoir as the tranny?

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
None of the drive train components share the same fluid reservoir. What you are hearing is likely the exhaust flap closing. Replacing ALL of the fluids is a good idea to do ASAP.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I notice this every time now as I turn off the engine and walk around the back of the car and the rear diff makes this click sound. :dunno:
as the engine is turned off it no longer has vacuum and cant keep the valve closed. and either way if it was moving slow enough to have not opened fully by the time you get to the back of the car its probably moving slow enough not to make any perceivable noise... my vote is not on exhaust flap...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, definitely the exhaust flap. Looked inside the medial exhaust tip and saw the flap closing making the sound that I had heard for a while. Maybe a little lithium grease around the flap to keep it quiet. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Still gotta change the fluids though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be sure to remove if it fails in the future. Maybe the vibration in D and R while idling could be caused by that flap somehow? Probably not.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I checked the ATF today and it's quite dark brown. Auto of course. I assume the front diff shares the same fluid reservoir as the tranny?
Uh, there's no reservoir for transmission or diff fluids. The reservoir labeled ATF is your power steering fluid....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts