Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'03 M3 Titansilver
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my SMG swap done. Nightmare. Went to pick the car up, leaked trans oil out. Input shaft seal installed wrong, fell out.
That got fixed but reused the old seal which may have gotten nicked/kinked.

Now picked the car up and I got this supercharger whine when clutch is not pressed. Frequency of sound increases with revs. See video.

I press and release the clutch during video and compare revving with and without clutch pressed.

What do you think? Tech says it's normal. I've had all kinds of manuals, never had this happening.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,107 Posts
It just becomes so bloody hard to hear the noise "you hear" in anybody's video.
The only noise that stands out to me is the normal timing chain/valvetrain noise.

I would refrain from revving the engine too much with the clutch pedal depressed. The throw out bearing has a lifespan of xx. Using it with increased speed takes life off at an exponential rate.

·
Registered
'03 M3 Titansilver
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The whine is normal, but within that sound is a clutch release bearing with dried up lubricant. Imo.
That's the thing, the clutch, input shaft seal and throwout bearing are new. It should not saound like this.

It just becomes so bloody hard to hear the noise "you hear" in anybody's video.
The only noise that stands out to me is the normal timing chain/valvetrain noise.

I would refrain from revving the engine too much with the clutch pedal depressed. The throw out bearing has a lifespan of xx. Using it with increased speed takes life off at an exponential rate.
You don't have to reply to the topic or listen to the video. You don't have a e46 M3 or your ear is just not tuned to this engine. There is a whine with clutch not pushed in, that happens on idle and it increases with revs. It almost sounds like a supercharger whine.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You make me laugh. We've torn apart & repaired/rebuilt more S54 engines than I care to think about. We were likely the first independent to discover the "Vanos Bolts" issue. And came up with a fix better than BMW. Supplied vanos units to Raj @ Beisan for evaluation and testing so he could develop kits.
We've also witnessed SMG cars that bent valves due to an over-rev. I think I posses a better ear that most for S54 noises.:sneaky:

But you're right about one thing, I don't own a E46 M3. Today...... But have.

Lastly, take a look at my posts. I'm NOT snarky. I help folks.

·
Registered
'03 M3 Titansilver
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know exactly who you are. The tales of your "great" work reached us here in Michigan. You might have done good things for others. Your post is snarky, no doubt. If you want to help, suggest something constructive. I'm worried my input shaft seal or throwout bearing were not installed correctly. I've had manual BMWs but never this noise, even with 140k on original clutch - 6 speed.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It wasn't I assure you. In all fairness I watch a few videos a week and telephones have the distinction of capturing noises in a horrible way, including yours with a constant hum throughout. About the only one that was very clear to me was the one with the engine knock. I refrained from commenting..... Same happens when you drive in and complain about noise XX. When I get in the car I hear a dozen noises, which one are you talking about Mr. Smith?
Send me another one and tell me at how many seconds and I'll give it a try. Again phones reproduce car noises horribly, with the bad habit of over-amplifying the loudest noise, very often masking the one you want me to hear.

Engine whining most often makes me think about timing chain tensioners that are too tight and/or have been removed and stepped up to the next notch. THAT sounds like a supercharger.

BTW, I did listen to your original video 3 times in an effort to help. Yet the retort.
"Great" work? I dunno. I try to make a living and be fair and just with my customers and I give a shit.
BTW the advice on the T/O bearing was constructive, but you take it as you see fit.

I have NO IDEA who I'm dealing with, their abilities, experience, wrenching skill etc. So the advice I dispense is very often generic.
I digress.

·
Registered
'03 M3 Titansilver
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll see if I can get another video. I haven't been driving due to bad weather and I have the interior apart. If it clears up tomorrow, I'll put a seat in and go for a drive. Will record another video in a quiet place. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
'03 M3 Titansilver
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It wasn't I assure you. In all fairness I watch a few videos a week and telephones have the distinction of capturing noises in a horrible way, including yours with a constant hum throughout. About the only one that was very clear to me was the one with the engine knock. I refrained from commenting..... Same happens when you drive in and complain about noise XX. When I get in the car I hear a dozen noises, which one are you talking about Mr. Smith?
Send me another one and tell me at how many seconds and I'll give it a try. Again phones reproduce car noises horribly, with the bad habit of over-amplifying the loudest noise, very often masking the one you want me to hear.

Engine whining most often makes me think about timing chain tensioners that are too tight and/or have been removed and stepped up to the next notch. THAT sounds like a supercharger.

BTW, I did listen to your original video 3 times in an effort to help. Yet the retort.
"Great" work? I dunno. I try to make a living and be fair and just with my customers and I give a shit.
BTW the advice on the T/O bearing was constructive, but you take it as you see fit.

I have NO IDEA who I'm dealing with, their abilities, experience, wrenching skill etc. So the advice I dispense is very often generic.
I digress.
New clip:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Is there any difficulty with getting it into gear from a stop? IOW does it seem to take longer to get it into 1st. from a stop? I'm wondering about the input shaft continuing to spin longer than normal.
What oil is in the gearbox currently?

I can't fathom how a seal (they're relevantly soft) not right the first time then corrected could produce such a noise.
Were any sealants (maybe too much?) used on the T/O bearing collar and migrated onto the input shaft bearing?
Just guesses at this point. Sorry.
I wish the car was here, would be a lot easier.
Let us know what you find if anything.

·
Registered
'03 M3 Titansilver
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the swap was just done, on the first test drive, yes. 1st and 3rd gear were a bit difficult. Also, a new LUK clutch was put in. It may have been that too. Now after about 100-150 miles, it's better, I don't have issues with first or any gears. Trans oil was replaced with Redline MTL which in my previous BMWs worked great and made a significant improvement.
The reason why I'm asking here; I bought all new parts from BMW. Didn't skimp on anything. Everything is OEM BMW. I bought the more expensive BMW seals for a reason - to not worry about potential leaks down the line. And it feels like something is off.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm fresh out of ideas. My only thought, and it's a real stretch... the SAC wasn't set right before they pulled the Ninja Star out? (Just a wild ass guess)
If that was the case, the T/O bearing went for a helluva ride the first few engagements.
Since it's getting better and presents no issues of getting into gear.....

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
As a tangent to how the SMG works (personally dislike but to each their own) so well, we've changed several clutches on SMG cars where it had to come out because the T/O bearing was toasty and/or destroyed. However we would find most of the time the disc still looked decent. (naturally changed them but...)
That pump/sensor wastes no time in engaging the clutch. Very little wear. FYI.

·
Registered
'03 M3 Titansilver
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm fresh out of ideas. My only thought, and it's a real stretch... the SAC wasn't set right before they pulled the Ninja Star out? (Just a wild ass guess)
If that was the case, the T/O bearing went for a helluva ride the first few engagements.
Since it's getting better and presents no issues of getting into gear.....
It's entirely possible. I still hear the whining sound, make no mistake about it. I still don't think it's normal. Especially from a brand new OE clutch set which came with a new bearing.
This is a summer car for me, so I also think it (T/O bearing) likely will never see complete failure. And the shop probably knows that. I may just get a new one down the line and pay... AGAIN... to have it done. We'll see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts