BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally got a SMG M3, its not my first time driving the SMG transmission, but it seems like when im in the sport mode, when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, and even from 2nd to 3rd, it just sounds really rough? Is it normal? its apparantly a brand new clutch and flywheel and im not familiar with how the smg works so i was just wondering if its supposed to sound as harsh as it does? thanks

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
:search:

·
Registered
83 Posts
during shift transitions my car always sounds like im killing it. but i think thats normal. ive driven m5's, m6's, and other m3's and they all have the same characteristics and make the same sounds

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
So i finally got a SMG M3, its not my first time driving the SMG transmission, but it seems like when im in the sport mode, when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, and even from 2nd to 3rd, it just sounds really rough? Is it normal? its apparantly a brand new clutch and flywheel and im not familiar with how the smg works so i was just wondering if its supposed to sound as harsh as it does? thanks
The hard slamming or rough shifting is because you have sport button on and are probably in a higher S mode. The higher S modes like 5 and 6 are designed to shift fast, and if you're not hitting the throttle hard, the gears pretty much have manually slam into each other in order to shift near the programmed interval. The tranny needs some inertial force to shift at max speed/interval (like the 80ms done in S6). If you're not going balls-to-the-wall on the accellerator, the gears are still trying to shift at 80ms but can't due to lack of inertia. So you get this clunking sound.
That's obviously not the technical description of why it sounds like that, but it's a best way to explain it and have it make sense. In short, it's not really a bad thing. The tranny can handle it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
alright you have to remember that it is a manual transmission...so you have to drive it as such...so take your foot off the gas before you shift gears if you would like it make it smooth. Put this together with shifting at a low RPM and you should have a pretty good shift...

Then do this and just experiment along with the shift settings to see what feels the most smooth to you...do this and it should get a lot better.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
^^ I've heard some ppl / mechanics say not to lift the foot off the gas. Personally i feather my foot off the gas ever so slightly, just enough to smooth out the shift. This is something all new SMG owners go through and it will take you 1-2 weeks to get it right, just keep driving.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^ I've heard some ppl / mechanics say not to lift the foot off the gas. Personally i feather my foot off the gas ever so slightly, just enough to smooth out the shift. This is something all new SMG owners go through and it will take you 1-2 weeks to get it right, just keep driving.
:werd: It's best to keep some throttle going. Don't completely lift off. That's what I've discovered and found out. The gears still need some assistance/inertia when shifting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts