BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there any non-lowering stiffer springs for aftermarket purchase? Or is there a way for me to keep the ride height stock when installing stiffer springs?

I am aiming for 600 lbs/in in the front and 700 lbs/in in the rear, while keeping the stock ride height.

Also, would it be okay to use them with the OEM Sachs shocks I have on now? I have only refreshed my shocks two years back, so they have much life left in them, I predict.

P.S. All the results from the many searches I did were about lowering springs, which I am not looking to do. Some even said that using lowering springs on stock shocks is not a good idea for the shocks may become worn prematurely and the suspension geometry will be off, etc.

Note: Car is a 2003 318i, generally stock and on Style 193 wheels, 225/40 front tires, and 235/40 rear tires.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
Are there any non-lowering stiffer springs for aftermarket purchase? Or is there a way for me to keep the ride height stock when installing stiffer springs?

I am aiming for 600 lbs/in in the front and 700 lbs/in in the rear, while keeping the stock ride height.

Also, would it be okay to use them with the OEM Sachs shocks I have on now? I have only refreshed my shocks two years back, so they have much life left in them, I predict.

P.S. All the results from the many searches I did were about lowering springs, which I am not looking to do. Some even said that using lowering springs on stock shocks is not a good idea for the shocks may become worn prematurely and the suspension geometry will be off, etc.

Note: Car is a 2003 318i, generally stock and on Style 193 wheels, 225/40 front tires, and 235/40 rear tires.

It can be done with linear race springs, but you're going to have to start from scratch & replace almost everything you already have. I doubt you'll like the price either....

Rob43

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It can be done with linear race springs, but you're going to have to start from scratch & replace almost everything you already have. I doubt you'll like the price either....

Rob43
So the cheapest (and perhaps most realistic) solution is to get the springs I want and put them on any set of coils and jack it up nearly to the max then?

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
So the cheapest (and perhaps most realistic) solution is to get the springs I want and put them on any set of coils and jack it up nearly to the max then?

Yes,....kinda of. Everything I mention is USA pricing.

You could buy a Cheap No Name coilover system for $250 to $350, then you would take off the springs & not use them. Now you will buy a set of 4 Eibach ERS (Linear) for about $300 in both a Higher Spring Rate & Higher Physical Height.

The BIG problem with doing this is that the dampers on the cheap coilovers are designed to Only control the springs that they come with (sometimes they have trouble even doing that), but now you are installing springs that could easily be 50% Higher Spring Rate. So what you will end up with is an expensive cheaply built coilover system where the dampers Can't really control the new springs, so you'll really only be riding around on the springs.

Rob43

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,....kinda of. Everything I mention is USA pricing.

You could buy a Cheap No Name coilover system for $250 to $350, then you would take off the springs & not use them. Now you will buy a set of 4 Eibach ERS (Linear) for about $300 in both a Higher Spring Rate & Higher Physical Height.

The BIG problem with doing this is that the dampers on the cheap coilovers are designed to Only control the springs that they come with (sometimes they have trouble even doing that), but now you are installing springs that could easily be 50% Higher Spring Rate. So what you will end up with is an expensive cheaply built coilover system where the dampers Can't really control the new springs, so you'll really only be riding around on the springs.

Rob43
That can't be good - cars wobbling on springs only.

I think I will aim for at least some decent coilovers that come with springs and just use them then - maybe KW's or something the like - regardless of the mild lowering. Perhaps what I was looking for was just a bit unrealistic.

However, thanks for the pointers though! I really learned something from this conversation!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So as an update for whoever might be reading, I found the optimum solution.

So I just recently learnt of the existence of "Spring Distance Kits" and they seem to be the best way for me to go about with trying to achieve the least amount of lowering.

For example, a set of KW V3's when maxxed out in ride-height would still lower the car 30mm. However, the Spring Distance Kits that KW sells (under the brand ST) are 20mm high, which brings the overall drop down to 10mm.

The problem now is that I don't know if such Spring Distance Kits are universal and can be used with different brands of coilovers or not.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Do you have a sports package now? If so, you could do H&R sport springs which will be a very minimal drop from where you are at now. The rear would probably stay the same, the front would drop maybe 0.5-0.75 inches. This would probably be the most cost effective.

And yes, it's best to change shocks/struts at the same time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a sports package now? If so, you could do H&R sport springs which will be a very minimal drop from where you are at now. The rear would probably stay the same, the front would drop maybe 0.5-0.75 inches. This would probably be the most cost effective.

And yes, it's best to change shocks/struts at the same time.
No sports package here, which makes it even more difficult. I guess I like my ride height quite high and yet relatively stiff (I guess I kind of like the tall look of rally-stage cars but want the handling characteristics of street driving, which is why I love to watch tarmac rally stages so much, I guess).

·
Registered
839 Posts
No sports package here, which makes it even more difficult. I guess I like my ride height quite high and yet relatively stiff (I guess I kind of like the tall look of rally-stage cars but want the handling characteristics of street driving, which is why I love to watch tarmac rally stages so much, I guess).
You could just install some bilstein shocks/struts on the stock springs. Those tend to be pretty stiff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could just install some bilstein shocks/struts on the stock springs. Those tend to be pretty stiff.
Thanks! I'm actually really considering doing that now (installing Bilstein shocks). It sounds like a good place to start for suspension modding as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts