E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have steptronic, does your car make a weird "thunk" noise when you slow down to a stop and when you are in M5. My car makes this weird thunk when the transmission shifts from M5 to M2 whenever I stop. Is this suppose to happen or is there something wrong?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hey, i just bought a used '01 330xi and I have the same problem...I have only had the car for about 2 weeks and have made a dealer appointment. It seems to happen even in regular drive mode. Accelerate, let go, then THUNK, and slowing down. Seems to happen more if I switch to M or S mode.... Does anyone know if this is normal? I HOPE it isnt!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nope i don't have it:dunno:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I downshift as I'm slowing down, so I don't really get that, try that maybe and see if it still makes the noise.
When i have my car in regular drive, it seems to shift into third just as I hit 40, so if I completely let go, there's not that many rpms to keep the car at that speed...don't think it makes a thunk sound though
Hope this helps you guys

·
Registered
854 Posts
its not just a THUNK sound...you also feel the jerk as it drops down gears

·
Registered
172 Posts
I fell a jerk if im goin down my street slow in first gear with the car in sport or regular drive and I put it into M1, I also feel jerking when i downshift approaching a stop sign sometimes...It happened more when I first started using the manual mode, but I can do it a lot smoother now, I think it's somrthing that yo get used to an better at it. (BTW, I'm not saying you're a bad driver or anything, but you just got your car so you may noy be used to it like i was when I first got my car)

·
Registered
854 Posts
this happens in auto mode though...thats why i am concerned!

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,376 Posts
Pat, I have the same problem. Actually, it's not really a problem, but just how the tranny was designed. So I wouldn't be too concerned about it...Mine thunks shifting from Mx-M2...But if you downshift yourself, you can get rid of this thunk. For me, I just flip it into D when I am going to a stop...

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
the situation that i am talking about is when you're driving at 45mph in 5th gear. you see a stop light and you slow down w/o downshifting yourself and right before you come to a complete stop, the car will make a thunk noise. (downshift automatically from 5th to 2nd)

if i down shif myself, it does not make the noise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same problem in my 03 325. It's a noticable thunk and a jerk when coming to a stop. It's a hard downshift from 2nd to 1st. After reading many posts on other sites, I took it in for service. The head tech knew exactly what the problem was without even taking it for a test drive. They reprogrammed the ESG but after a day the problem came back. I took it back and they said that sometimes the reprogamming doesn't take and they had to ship my ESG to Germany to get it reprogrammed. It took three days to get my car back and ever since, the transmission is shifting smoothly.

What really bothers me is that BMW knows about this problem and it's prevalent because I keep seeing this type of posts and people always reply with "I have the same problem".

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I had that problem on my '01 325cic and my '03 330i step.

My '03 did not have the problem at first but then after a few thousand miles it began to happen. It seems like peopel who have taken it in for service have been told this is normal. Except for oneeye who had his ecu programmed. I'm not sure all dealers would do that. I have actually heard some manual drivers complain of this while going into second gear just before a stop. Even some M drivers. It's a real sham BMW has not yet figured a sure fire way to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
you don't have the Dinan Tranny software, do you? As the rpm's go just under 1000, the car should automatically downshift to prevent stalling. It should go from 5-4-3-2. The fact that it is hanging in 5th is a prob. Are you jamming on the breaks and coming to a screaching stop when this happens, or are you slowing down gradually?

TeKNiC330 said:
the situation that i am talking about is when you're driving at 45mph in 5th gear. you see a stop light and you slow down w/o downshifting yourself and right before you come to a complete stop, the car will make a thunk noise. (downshift automatically from 5th to 2nd)

if i down shif myself, it does not make the noise.

·
Thread Hijacker!!!
377 Posts
HAHHAHA..the tranmission is finally catching up with ya huh Pat? see, that's what happens when you try to keep up with me in the hills. You probably ****ed up your steptronic. Sorry to hear that pat. But i think it's time for a manual swap? yeah yeah? HAHA. j/k. Here's your solution to that "thunk" sound that everyone with steptronic is having. There's actually a service bulletin for the A/T transmission. All it does it upload a new software for the transmission to fix that problem. It's not Dinan, sorry to disappoint all you guys. but just a newer version of the OEM Step. software. I already got it done on my car just a few days ago. It does get rid of the problem. So, all you slushbox worshippers out there, go make an appt with your local dealership.

JT

·
Registered
854 Posts
do you know what service bulletin it was? just wanna have the #s in case the dealer doesnt know

·
Conceited Prick
1,962 Posts
I had the same problem but only in STEP and only while decelerating. Thunk would occur at about 12mph. Took it in and dealer couldn't upload new software so BMWNA overnighted a VIN spec'd ECU. Had it back the next day. That was nice.

·
Thread Hijacker!!!
377 Posts
starscream said:
do you know what service bulletin it was? just wanna have the #s in case the dealer doesnt know
trust me they know. If they don't, have them call BMWNA and have them tell BMWNA that they're a [email protected] and if they can explain what the A/T transmission service bulletin is for all e46's. Oh by the way, sorry for the OT, but have anyone here gotten their A/C services as a service bulletin. I found out there's one for the A/C moldy odor, but my dealer said it wasn't covered under the warranty. What's up with that???

JT

1 - 20 of 40 Posts