E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 01 330ci with 30k miles and when i slow down i get this deep tone humping noise. its hard to explain what it sounds like but its like a wahhhhhhhhhhhh. i dont think its the brakes cause it does it even when i dont hit them. any one got any idea what it can be

·
Registered
109 Posts
SollyD said:
i just bought a 01 330ci with 30k miles and when i slow down i get this deep tone humping noise. its hard to explain what it sounds like but its like a wahhhhhhhhhhhh. i dont think its the brakes cause it does it even when i dont hit them. any one got any idea what it can be
I had a similar problem and in my case it was the tires. What tires do you have? Do a search on tire noise and you will see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont think its the brakes cause it makes the noise even when i dot use the brakes and slow down.

but if it is the brakes are they covered under warranty, and if not how
much am i lookin to spend

·
call me kev :D
5,512 Posts
blurizpimpin said:
lols kev i have three e46s and when they all brake going down hill they all shake...
i've driven about 8 e46 loaners, none of them has the problem that he is talking about including my car

i dunno about.. that does NOT sound normal to me

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Brakes make noise. It's called f-r-i-c-t-i-o-n.

It's what stops your car... :yikes:

Cross-drilled and slotted rotors are even louder.

It's not a loud noise though. If the noise sounds out of place, it probably is something else. Every car I've ever owned has made some noise when braking. You just need to listen for it. As long as it's a smooth sound and not too loud, it's normal. If it's a griding, squeeling or metal on metal sound, your brakes are f-ed up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SteelBlueXI said:
Brakes make noise. It's called f-r-i-c-t-i-o-n.

It's what stops your car... :yikes:

Cross-drilled and slotted rotors are even louder.

It's not a loud noise though. If the noise sounds out of place, it probably is something else. Every car I've ever owned has made some noise when braking. You just need to listen for it. As long as it's a smooth sound and not too loud, it's normal. If it's a griding, squeeling or metal on metal sound, your brakes are f-ed up.
you dont seem to understand. it has nothing to do with me hitting the brakes. its when i am at a slow speed. anywhere from 15mph and below it does it. even when i am taking off from a stop

·
Banned
2 Posts
Tachometer

SollyD said:
I just took my car in today because I was hearing a whirring noise when I was slowing down or speeding up. I thought it was the clutch because it was the loudest whenever I engaged the clutch. The tech told me that it is actually the tachometer and that there is a notification out to dealers that this is a common problem. They ordered me a new instrument cluster under warranty.

·
Registered
710 Posts
SollyD said:
you dont seem to understand. it has nothing to do with me hitting the brakes. its when i am at a slow speed. anywhere from 15mph and below it does it. even when i am taking off from a stop
I have the same problem. I think it is differential/ drive shaft vibration. It only happlens at less the 15 mph for me, but I do have a bit more road noise at speed, but that may be tire related.

let me know what you came up with. I would like to bring mine in for this.

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.