BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced my flywheel, clutch and throw out bearing with the Valeo single mass conversion kit. Also replaced the pilot bearing. There's a noise/vibration coming from the transmission trough the shifter. It happens in neutral and while driving only when applying throttle. I could be coasting in 3rd gear 3000rpm and it would be quiet but when I step on the gas it starts whining and vibrating kind of like a bad bearing. I don't think it's something inside the transmission because it does it both with the clutch released and depressed and also in neutral. If it was the pilot bearing it would only do it when the flywheel and input shaft were spinning at different speeds which means it wouldn't do it when driving so it's probably not that. Someone said it could be a throw out bearing but that doesn't make sense because it makes noise even when the clutch is released and the car is moving. Unless the throw out bearing was making light contact with the pressure plate which seems the most likely right now. But even then, why would it do it only when I step on the gas? What could cause a throw out bearing to rub against the pressure plate when the clutch is released? I noticed that when I was installing the slave cylinder I had to push it in and compress it a bit in order to get it onto the studs which means it pushed the clutch fork forwards a bit. Any thoughts and advice are helpful.. This was the hardest DIY on this car and I am so frustrated right now... :banghead:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Could it be you are seeing why BMW used a dual mass flywheel?

I swapped to a single mass flywheel in my truck and transmission is much louder. Not ***8220;bad***8221; noise but certainly noise that wasn***8217;t there with dual mass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is not the usual noise/chatter you get with SMF. So many people are running this kit and no one has complained of something like this. It's completely possible I've made a mistake when putting everything together but I'm trying to at least narrow it down.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,384 Posts
My only thoughts are the single mass flywheel and/or the clutch cover (Pressure Plate) are not in 100% balance.

Easy enough to check. Get under the car (SAFELY) and have someone rev the engine (no clutch use) and see if there's a vibration at the right speeds where the flywheel/clutch is. Right where the two bolt together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only thoughts are the single mass flywheel and/or the clutch cover (Pressure Plate) are not in 100% balance.

Easy enough to check. Get under the car (SAFELY) and have someone rev the engine (no clutch use) and see if there's a vibration at the right speeds where the flywheel/clutch is. Right where the two bolt together.
I'm not saying it's impossible but if they were unbalanced they would still be spinning pretty damn fast when I'm driving in gear but with the gas released. It only does it when I floor it. I'll try and get under the car and locate exactly where it's coming from.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Are you sure it's not two different problems? At idle it could be rattle that isn't dampened by a dmf, and rattle causes by engine mounts under load. How much does your engine move when you throttle it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure it's not two different problems? At idle it could be rattle that isn't dampened by a dmf, and rattle causes by engine mounts under load. How much does your engine move when you throttle it?
Engine mounts seem fine. This noise started immediately after changing the clutch and flywheel. If the mounts were bad I would have noticed it with the old clutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I forget what the part is called. But it's the brace that secures between the transmission and the body. It's near the rear of the transmission and the actual shifter sits down into it, When I did mine I was warned to make sure I didn't accidentally put it back in upside down, apparently that's easy to do. If that happened it's possible that as the motor and transmission move that part is contacting something and transmitting a vibration.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Dana

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I forget what the part is called. But it's the brace that secures between the transmission and the body. It's near the rear of the transmission and the actual shifter sits down into it, When I did mine I was warned to make sure I didn't accidentally put it back in upside down, apparently that's easy to do. If that happened it's possible that as the motor and transmission move that part is contacting something and transmitting a vibration.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Dana
Do you mean the brace that the transmission mounts rest on? Or the bar on top of the transmission that holds the shifter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The one on the top that the shift ball sits down into.

When I had mine apart the guys up a Bimmerworld told me to make sure I got that part back in correctly. If I recall correctly it had a slight arch to it and the arch needed to be upward.

Hope that helps.
Dana

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The one on the top that the shift ball sits down into.

When I had mine apart the guys up a Bimmerworld told me to make sure I got that part back in correctly. If I recall correctly it had a slight arch to it and the arch needed to be upward.

Hope that helps.
Dana
Well I did disassemble everything because I changed the shifter bushings. I never thought about the orientation of this brace to be honest. I'll have to check but it's probably something related to the shifter linkage as I've driven the car pretty hard for a couple hundred kilometers now and if it was something inside the gearbox or the clutch/flywheel it probably would've exploded by now :dunno: . One thing I noticed was the selector rod that connects the shifter to the gearbox had a slight kink/bend in one end. One more thing I could have put back the wrong way :facepalm: .

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just went through my pictures from the work. I was hoping to find one of that area, but I don't seem to have any.

Sorry, Dana

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just went through the images on Bimmerworld's website. Now that I look at them, I think it's the actual shifter arm that has the bend. Not the fixed brace. It's the part that secures to the base of the shifter and connects to the mechanism in the transmission.

I guess the moving part and not the fixed part. If that makes sense? It's labeled as the Selector Rod. It has a slight kink in it and the shorter end had to attach to the shifter with the kink to the top.

Dana

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just went through the images on Bimmerworld's website. Now that I look at them, I think it's the actual shifter arm that has the bend. Not the fixed brace. It's the part that secures to the base of the shifter and connects to the mechanism in the transmission.

I guess the moving part and not the fixed part. If that makes sense? It's labeled as the Selector Rod. It has a slight kink in it and the shorter end had to attach to the shifter with the kink to the top.

Dana
Yeah, that's exactly how I attached it. Made the most sense since the guibo is right under the bend and mounting it this way gives the most clearance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts