BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help from someone with a bit more mechanical savvy than I have... I can fix it all, I just can't diagnose for beans.

Today I have a noise coming from my front end. It's only at low low speeds (< 5mph) and only audible when I'm turning, for example: into or out of a parking spot. (forward or reverse)

The sound it makes is like a CV joint on a front wheel drive car but clearly, the 325i isn't a front wheel drive car.

My first suspicion is that it's a sway bar bushing failure or a linkage failure, but I'm no wiz when it comes to noises. (I should just get that damned Bentley manual!)

Vehicle:
2004 325i w/ 60k miles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
what's the noise like.....the best way to check is to get a rubber hammer, jack up your car and start hammering on thing to hear any clunk/loose/brittle noises.
At least that's how i determined my sway bar links being shot...just my 0.02....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing seemed odd after I lifted it up and banged around with a dead blow hammer.

But since then there hasn't been any sounds either. I don't want to say it's fixed but I have not been hearing it since. Been super busy with spring here finally and once things slow down I'll lift it again and see if anything has changed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
my friggin sway bar links go all the time... I run an aggressive suspension setup now so I think they're shot again... You typically hear a clunk that sounds like a ball joint is on its way out... when at low speed and turning the wheel and say coming to a stop. Its a cheap easy fix. If you run a zhp, control arm failure is highly unlikely making this pretty much your only culprit. These or the FCABS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts