BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first BMW so I'm new to this. I have a no start on my 99 328i. Wasn't getting spark. I moved the orange wire that grounds onto the valve cover and it started. Then it shut off again a little bit later and won't start back up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
How did you check for spark?
Does the starter crank?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cranks fine. Took a coil plug out and spark plug. Grounded both. No spark. Just a wet spark plug after trying to start it. The orange wire that grounds to the valve cover was what I moved around and it started then it shut off again and hasn't started since

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Try to connect an extra ground wire between the engine and chassis, just to rule out bad ground.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I thought you were talking about a simple ground wire.
Can you post a picture of it?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
OK, check out my no start thread, fuses are another thing I would look into.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'm not sure what wire that is. Any progress?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. I tried other places and just cranks. Have new coils I'm gonna install and see if maybe they went bad. Weird if all went out at the same time.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
What's the history of the car?
Did you buy it not running, or it just died?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It had a engine swap done. Same engine as original just lower miles. Was having intermittent shutoff no starts. Then went away and now won't start

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I see. Is the check engine light on when you turn the key?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
See if there is power at the coil harness. At pin 15 there should be battery power with the ignition on.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Pin 1 on the coil harness is the DME signal wire. Pull one of the rubber boots back.
Connect a test light to the back of the pin and have someone crank the engine.
The light should flash.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get a test ligt on on one of the connectors off the coil plug in. And when it cranks it's the only one that lights up also

1 - 20 of 41 Posts