BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone..

I went to start my 330Ci and all I got was a click under the hood. I heard the fuel pump prime and battery is strong. I even tried jumping it with my M3, just in case the juice was low.. I tried the different key.. nothing.. it has 99,000 miles on it..

Is this the tell tell click for a new starter?

·
NWS
1,708 Posts
Are you sure the battery is good? I had the same issue about 2 months ago. I tried to jump it with no luck. Replaced the battery and it starts up no problem.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
If you hear a click and everything else checks out fine like you said then its the starter. Me and a friend replaced the one in his 325ci awhile back.

·
Registered
195 Posts
nope its the battery.
happened to me before.

I tried jump starting it, nothing, had to borrow my friends battery to start the car, and it worked fine

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Guys are on point in this thread. Try and see if you can get the battery tested by your local parts store before you drop coin on a new battery.

If it looks good and the clicking is going on the starter is toast. DIY looks like an adventure so get ready!

·
Registered
12,958 Posts
Get on the ground and tap the starter with a hammer, it should start.

It's 99% that the starter died. If you have a 6spd it's a PITA to put a new one it. GL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips fellas.. I'll check to voltmeter and give it a shot. Keep u posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Long pipe from underneath the jacked car (of course after removing splash shield) and itll allow you just enough room to tap the starter with the pipe and a hammer.
Im having same issue though with my car, but ive already bought a brand new battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts