E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,646 Posts
For grins, if you jumped at the battery, try jumping at the terminals under the hood.

Check that connection under the + terminal...check for corrosion.

Do cluster test/multimeter to get battery voltage. It could just be that. Check date on battery too. If old...say 5 years or so, could be battery.

Could be alt. The clicking sound, though, is exactly what mine was when it was just the battery...fortunately I was facing down hill...all alone somewhere...got the car rolling and kick started it. I thought starter at the time...but it was just battery...and with any luck that'd be it for you.

Also, the battery could be dead but otherwise fine. If you've been making a lot of short trips, starting and stopping and not driving any distance, could just be really low battery, but not totally dead. If you have been driving like this, and battery is relatively new (date stamp under bracket), then charge it fully if you can (best not to make amp do that unless you need to). If you want, try kick starting and drive for about 30 mins. on highway. But check date first...you might just want to drive to Autozone for 49DL...not the more expensive bat they'll try to sell you. Under $100.

·
Registered
391 Posts
^ very solid advice. I doubt the starter is bad. Nearly 80 percent of "bad starters" were never bad from the start. It was simply corrosion that prevented the starter from getting the voltage needed. When the starter was replaced it ended up cleaning up the bad connection and then the car starts. Thats why people think they had a bad starter when in general it was never the starter to begin with. I would definitely lean towards dead or weak battery or a bad connection somewhere. Best of luck!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Dmax! u always come through! i actually just bought a 49DL since the battery i have in there is the original one! at least its a bmw 1 and the last time its been to a dealer was over 8 years ago(i realize the PO still could've got his hands on one,will check the date tomm)...ive owned it for 4 years and have never replaced the battery. yes i do take short trips. 9 minutes to work. did lots of driving this past weekend tho.

yes i jumped it under the hood.....funny guy

thanks dmax and mq124 for the feedback and suggestions!

·
Registered
170 Posts
+1 for everything dmax and mq124 said. Check: connections, battery, starter, alternator...hopefully its a bad battery and you can be on your way. If its not, let the diagnostic fun begin, there's tons of info on here about what to check and how to check it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Before even putting in the new battery I disconnected everything connected it back up.....vroom vroom!! Sadly I bought the battery alrdy and will need to return it but oh well. What I don't get is i tried moving the battery cables last night and they wouldn't budge so I don't rly know if it was loose. W.e it was my car is running and I'm a happy camper. Thanks for all the help guys!

You may now proceed to scold me for that not being the first thing i did last night!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. Maybe there was just some corrosion on the terminal that you knocked loose. If thats the case you should pull the terminals again and give them a good cleaning or even use a light sandpaper if need be (if you haven't already)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.