BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 2004 325xi
Background: Car was last driven in March. At the beginning of May I started the car and let it run for about 15 minutes. This past week I try to start the car. Really rough idle for a half a second and then shuts off. Try to start it a few more times and the car doesn’t turn over. Take the battery to autozone and they say the battery is dead. Pick up a new battery and spark plugs.

Following has been done to try and get the car to start: New battery, new spark plugs, new ignition coils, fuel pressure reads 50 psi at fuel rail, checked air filter and no creature has made a nest in the box.

After this I try to start the car. Starts for a half second, rough idle, and dies. Try again and it has the exact same sound like the brand new battery is dead.

In the last year I’ve replaced nearly everything in the intake side except for the manifold itself. I’m pretty well at my wits end. I spent the first 2 months after I bought this car chasing rough idle/no start issues and now I'm pretty devastated to be at the exact same spot again in less than a year. I’m hoping someone has recommendations so that I can fix the car myself and sell instead of towing it to a shop.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes. The Service Engine Soon light ya on only when an emissions related code is present. I suggest you download the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Then search this forum for threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has commented. He’s the guru. His posts will tell you:
  • the brand and model of communications adapter to buy (it plugs into the obd2 port under the dash)
  • how to set up the app
  • how to use the app
  • how to export data files for analysis in Excel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes. The Service Engine Soon light ya on only when an emissions related code is present. I suggest you download the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Then search this forum for threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has commented. He’s the guru. His posts will tell you:
  • the brand and model of communications adapter to buy (it plugs into the obd2 port under the dash)
  • how to set up the app
  • how to use the app
  • how to export data files for analysis in Excel.
I can upload any data files someone would want to look at. I have OBDFusion and a Bluetooth scanner. I’ve uploaded information to Dropbox previously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts