BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. So I have a 2000 323i automatic that just won't behave. A couple of days ago I was driving home and overheated. A surprise since last summer I replaced the expansion tank, radiator, and hoses. Got the car towed home refilled with coolant and she held everything without spilling a drop. Noticed the hose on the right of the thermostat was getting hot and Figured it be a thermostat, pulled the old one plugged a new one in and still overheating. Replaced the tensioner pulley, belts, and water pump pulley, pulled the water pump and it still spun freely and all the blades were in tact so I just put the old one back in. Put it all back together and she still overheats. Note she turns on and will idle fine right in the middle for about 10 minutes and then just starts creeping up. Engine Oil and coolant both look fine with no signs of contamination. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
Hey everybody. So I have a 2000 323i automatic that just won't behave. A couple of days ago I was driving home and overheated. A surprise since last summer I replaced the expansion tank, radiator, and hoses. Got the car towed home refilled with coolant and she held everything without spilling a drop. Noticed the hose on the right of the thermostat was getting hot and Figured it be a thermostat, pulled the old one plugged a new one in and still overheating. Replaced the tensioner pulley, belts, and water pump pulley, pulled the water pump and it still spun freely and all the blades were in tact so I just put the old one back in. Put it all back together and she still overheats. Note she turns on and will idle fine right in the middle for about 10 minutes and then just starts creeping up. Engine Oil and coolant both look fine with no signs of contamination. Any thoughts?

It sounds like you're not getting proper flow through the radiator. I know you wrote that the water pump looked ok, but I'm wondering if it's really ok. Btw, how did you bleed the cooling system? Did you follow Mango's procedure in the sticky?

What brand is the new radiator?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts