BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else NOT have a moonroof on their car with a sports and/or premium package? I find this rather strange. I thought the moonroof was part of the premium package.

·
Registered
780 Posts
you have a perfect car to make a track rat. 2dr, no sunroof and i bet no folding seats.

welcome to having the lightest and stiffest e46 chassis

:clap:

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts
you have a perfect car to make a track rat. 2dr, no sunroof and i bet no folding seats.

welcome to having the lightest and stiffest e46 chassis
I seriously doubt he has no folding seats. Coupes got split folding.
I wouldn't think premium package power seats makes for a lighter car..

But yes, having the moonroof not put in will make for a lighter car and more headroom.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was an option for moonroof delete.
Yep. It was special ordered that way. It would allow more headroom.
..or the other items were bought as stand alones and not as a package.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Actually the sedan is stiffer than the coupe, folding seats or not.
I stand corrected

I seriously doubt he has no folding seats. Coupes got split folding.
I wouldn't think premium package power seats makes for a lighter car..

But yes, having the moonroof not put in will make for a lighter car and more headroom.

too bad you cant track a car that does not have something filling the hole (ie a metal sunroof as many classes require you use the OEM material to fill in the sunroof. Past that i ment the frame not the interior pieces, so seat have no matter.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts
Actually the sedan is stiffer than the coupe, folding seats or not.
Russ,
I know that has been an old rumor. But I have not been able to find any facts supporting this. The only theory that supports it might be firmer would only be because of the fixed rear seat. The "B" pillar on the coupes are hinged and reinforced. So that's not the spot. As we know, the framed windows helps, but having four door (and those extra two) does allow movement that the coupe would not get. Someone a long time ago suggested that TMS used a sedan to race because it must be firmer. But articles in ROUNDEL and BIMMER have the reasons listed as being the cheaper car to tear down when they first came out, the car for that touring class, and that it allows for a less complicated number of parts for the cage. The sedan cage at the time wouldn't be allowed to be used in the coupe for the way it mounts. But later TMS did make and race Coupes besides the M3 in other class. So you see how I'm not sold on that theory anymore without more info. Maybe you can help.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Does anyone else NOT have a moonroof on their car with a sports and/or premium package? I find this rather strange. I thought the moonroof was part of the premium package.
According to the wiki the moonroof became standard on the sport wagon in model year 2003 and it became a required "option" on the 330's in September 2003, but I have a pic of a window sticker from a ZHP 330i produced in March 2004 that doesn't have a moonroof. I also have a pic of a window sticker from a 2005 ZHP 330i that shows the moonroof as "included".

Attachments

·
Mod Squad
12,558 Posts
Russ,
I know that has been an old rumor. Maybe you can help.
I wish I could find the supporting data that was posted, but it was ages ago (4-5 years). Anyway in the thread it listed the torsional rigidity of all the E46 variants (sans M3 IIRC). Looking at the B pillar of a sedan versus what passes as a pillar on a coupe, the sedan is beefier/more substantial. I know that's far from scientific and like I said I wouldn't know where to begin to find the old data.

As far as the TMS car look at all the teams that run E46s, they all appear to be sedans. At this point in the E46 timeline I don't think cost is an issue when buying a used car to tear down and run at a track yet they're almost all sedans. Of course that could be rules restriction and my point would be completely moot. :rofl:

Sorry I couldn't be more help, like I said the hard data is lost somewhere in the E46Fanatics void.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a 2004Ci with no moonroof...
Only options are sport pkg, leather, TiAg. I've never had a sun/moonroof and figured I wouldn't use it if I had one, so why sacrafice the headroom, weight (up high) and rigidity? I ordered it and did European Delivery, but could have gotten the same options by ordering it with normal delviery.
Last time I was at Road Atlanta doing a DE, when I was on the grid awaiting my group's turn, the chief instructor came over and asked me how I was able to get a Ci with no Moonroof... I told him that I had to go to Munich to get it...:pimpin:

·
Banned
8,817 Posts
I wish I could find the supporting data that was posted, but it was ages ago (4-5 years). Anyway in the thread it listed the torsional rigidity of all the E46 variants (sans M3 IIRC). Looking at the B pillar of a sedan versus what passes as a pillar on a coupe, the sedan is beefier/more substantial. I know that's far from scientific and like I said I wouldn't know where to begin to find the old data.

As far as the TMS car look at all the teams that run E46s, they all appear to be sedans. At this point in the E46 timeline I don't think cost is an issue when buying a used car to tear down and run at a track yet they're almost all sedans. Of course that could be rules restriction and my point would be completely moot. :rofl:

Sorry I couldn't be more help, like I said the hard data is lost somewhere in the E46Fanatics void.
Torsional rigidity of BMW's E46 chassis:

sedan****************18,000 N-m/deg = 13277 ft-lb/deg
wagon w/fold down seats**14,000 N-m/deg = 10326 ft-lb/deg
sedan w/fold down seats**13,000 N-m/deg = 9589 ft-lb/deg
coupe w/fold down seats**12,500 N-m/deg = 9220 ft-lb/deg
convertible************10,500 N-m/deg = 7745 ft-lb/deg

·
Registered
323 Posts
You could get the Moonroof delete as an option - it does come with various packages - but it could be deleted.

My 330i has the performance package with moonroof delete

I thought that the higher torsional rigidity of the sedan had to do with the beefy B pillar more than the non folding rear seat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts