E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 323i and my heat stopped working about a month ago. when it first happened my coolant light came on at the same time so i added coolant and my heat came back but it was intermittent. then my coolant reservoir tank cracked and i had to replace it, i bled the system a few times (correctly too, i found out the proper way from another post) and my heat worked right away, but then it went away again. i tried bleeding the system yet again but it does nothing now. i've searched through post for hours trying to find an answer but all the answers are to bleed the system. can anyone think of something or know what might be wrong with my heating system. do i need a new heater core? my windows are frozen when i leave now and its so cold!:cry: please help

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the fan does come on and there is no change in temperature when i adjust the climate control. its feels like the AC is permanently on

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i bled the system again and again and again and still no luck. i bypassed the heater control valve and heat came on for about twenty minutes but then it went back to cold. could there be something in my heater core blocking it? or do i need a new heater core. ski resorts are starting to open so heat would be a nice feature

·
Registered
998 Posts
I had the same problem, almost gone for a year.

Turns out my thermostat was not working too well, it got stuck closed one day(104k miles) and my car came close to overheating, regardless almost all of the coolant found a way to escape (expansion tank cap/crack in radiator). I got a new thermostat, installed it(14mins to install). Had heat, was great, until I found out radiator was leaking, and it went away again, as the fluid slowly drained out. Almost overheated, again, thankfully I had plenty of water in the car. Replaced radiator, waterpump, upper/low/expansion tank hoses, expansion tank, expansion tank cap and flushed system.

Now car is all happy, has heat, and I saved myself from problem that was bound to happen later down the road.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, ill try replacing that. hopefully it works, its been getting really cold out lately

·
Registered
278 Posts
dang thats a bust

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have this same issue with mine - intermittent heat issues. I just recently replaced the radiator (due to crack), water pump was also replaced as it disintegrated, and I think I replaced the t-stat, and the heater/water valve, final stage resistor, I still have no heat. I think other's have said to change the climate control panel - I dunno. That's what I am thinking about replacing next.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can temporarily get heat by disconnecting the electrical connector to the heater valve
i actually completely removed the heater valve about a month ago and just fab a piece to connect the hoses together, i still didint have heat after that but i just kept bleeding my system every chance i got and after about the thousandth time of bleeding it i got heat again on the way to a kiss concert. i have had heat ever since now so im assuming that the heater valve went out and then i just had a ungodly amount of air in the system.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have this same issue with mine - intermittent heat issues. I just recently replaced the radiator (due to crack), water pump was also replaced as it disintegrated, and I think I replaced the t-stat, and the heater/water valve, final stage resistor, I still have no heat. I think other's have said to change the climate control panel - I dunno. That's what I am thinking about replacing next.
i would try bleeding the system about a hundred more time before you buy anything else, it seems to actually work, especially if you get intermittent heat. i was about to take mine to a dealer to have them figure out what wrong with it right before i bleed it for that thousandth time and it started working again. you probably still have some air in there after replacing all of that.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Have you driven the car at all since replacing the coolant components?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I had the same problem, almost gone for a year.

Turns out my thermostat was not working too well, it got stuck closed one day(104k miles) and my car came close to overheating, regardless almost all of the coolant found a way to escape (expansion tank cap/crack in radiator). I got a new thermostat, installed it(14mins to install). Had heat, was great, until I found out radiator was leaking, and it went away again, as the fluid slowly drained out. Almost overheated, again, thankfully I had plenty of water in the car. Replaced radiator, waterpump, upper/low/expansion tank hoses, expansion tank, expansion tank cap and flushed system.

Now car is all happy, has heat, and I saved myself from problem that was bound to happen later down the road.

Hi Nicker, I see from your profile that you have a 323ci (?). Well, I just so happened to buy my very first BMW, a 2000 323ci convertible. She has 105,000 miles and has a plethera of little odds and ends problems and small missing parts (ex: convertible cover trim; rear battery cover; my heat stopped working, my windshield fluid won't spray; my ABS warning light came on, etc...etc...). Do you have place you can recommend for good used parts? Any nagging 323ci problems I should be aware of? Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated! - Doug

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Nicker, I see from your profile that you have a 323ci (?). Well, I just so happened to buy my very first BMW, a 2000 323ci convertible. She has 105,000 miles and has a plethera of little odds and ends problems and small missing parts (ex: convertible cover trim; rear battery cover; my heat stopped working, my windshield fluid won't spray; my ABS warning light came on, etc...etc...). Do you have place you can recommend for good used parts? Any nagging 323ci problems I should be aware of? Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated! - Doug

Suggestion: Buy another car Doug! :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts