E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my 7" Panasonic 9200U headunit, but I don't have any FM stations.

I did buy the Metra (40VW10) antenna adapter and connect it to my headunit brain and still no FM reception. I am not using the factory amp - I am using a JL audio amp.

Do I need to connect the amp turn-on wire to some power wire to make this work??? If so, which one of the wires do I need to connect - keep in mind that the factory amp is not in use.

Also, this is on a 2001 325CI.

·
Doesn't like PMs...Email me
2,278 Posts
you MIGHT need a powered antena. Go to your local stereo shop where you bought the other antena adapter from and talk to a shop hand... just hook it up outside the shop and see of a powered (or amplified) antena will do the trick. I've used it on VW and Audis B4 and it made the reception a lot more clear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't want to add an external antenna. Is this the only way??
CynicalWry said:
you MIGHT need a powered antena. Go to your local stereo shop where you bought the other antena adapter from and talk to a shop hand... just hook it up outside the shop and see of a powered (or amplified) antena will do the trick. I've used it on VW and Audis B4 and it made the reception a lot more clear.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
I have the same deck and never needed anything else that came w/it. But I must say I had the same problem as you who tried installing on their own but ended up getting no audio through the speakers, no radio, but only CD/DVD audio through the "beep" speaker they provided. I ended up taking it to a professional installer and everything works great. I figured I probably got some lines crossed.

·
Banned
1,770 Posts
gear_bag said:
I installed my 7" Panasonic 9200U headunit, but I don't have any FM stations.

I did buy the Metra (40VW10) antenna adapter and connect it to my headunit brain and still no FM reception. I am not using the factory amp - I am using a JL audio amp.

Do I need to connect the amp turn-on wire to some power wire to make this work??? If so, which one of the wires do I need to connect - keep in mind that the factory amp is not in use.

Also, this is on a 2001 325CI.

There HAS to be something not wired right. Did you plug the antenna cable to your new head unit? Did you use the Scosche antenna adapter cause the BMW antenna cable won't directly plug into an aftermarket radio.

Edit: And NO you do NOT need a powered antena.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cls1000 helped me out and I got it to work. Thanks to all of you that responded as your opinion were very helpful. I am glad to see the other fanatics trying to help a fellow fanatic. I hope that I am helpful in my future responds as well.

Solution: I had to connect the "power antenna" wire (blue) from the Metra harnest to the "power antenna" wire on the Panasonic brain. FM is now working along with everything else.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well then....

Yall help me out. I have an Excelon X859 and get ONE FM station!
I connected the Power Ant wire off the head unit to the light blue wire on the BMW harness? Correct? NADA for FM stations

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Well then....

Are you using the factory amp or aftermarket...

The BMW Antenna kind of sucks - even though mine is working, the reception is poor. I hope someone comes out with some aftermarket antenna or something to help the BMW FM reception :D

dt32569 said:
Yall help me out. I have an Excelon X859 and get ONE FM station!
I connected the Power Ant wire off the head unit to the light blue wire on the BMW harness? Correct? NADA for FM stations

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Aftermarket

Is there a nice aftermarket selection? Can someone please post links of where I might be able to find a good aftermarket antenna - possibly one without the external antenna?
dt32569 said:
Everything is now aftermarket in the ICE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts